Is this covered by Workman's Comp?

Good morning!!!

I had an employee that went to the bank at 2:45 yesterday to cash the petty cash check for his department. (his work schedule is 8am-5pm) When he left the bank he tripped over the curb and sprained his ankle.

Does he fall under worker's comp since he was "working" but was not on our property?

As always, thank you for your help!!

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, if he went to the bank FOR work, ON work time, it is work comp.
  • Yep. Same as a sales rep getting in a car accident while driving to meet with clients. The injury occurred while the ee was performing work; therefore, it is a compensable injury.
  • Thank you! Just wanted to be sure.

• This is just a ticky point; but, be sure you join us in the 21st century by saying Workers' Compensation, plural possessive. Workman's Comp became politically incorrect about 12 years ago with the massive federal broomsweep to eradicate all sex-referent titles, names and adjectives in the workplace. Man-O-Man; I mean Person-O-Person. x:-)
  • NOHR4U1YR: Like the others the answer is Yes, but did the individual notify the bank of a safety hazard and his accident with personal injur?. Reason is: your carrier may want to seek reimbursement for the medical coverage and lost wages of your employee. We have done this 2 times and the other businesses have paid the cost and lost wages of the hurt employee.

If the ee did not then you may want to pursue the issue with the bank. They have insurance for such situations also.

PORK
  • Sorry Pork, you're straying off-target again. It is not up to you to subrogate these issues. Let the carrier do what you pay them to do. Subrogation amongst carriers is the norm. Focus on your core competencies.
  • James: OOPs the HrHero Police are awake! So I will try again. My post are my post and are placed there to encourage the less educated HR person that there is more to it, than just a dotted i and a crossed t. I never claimed to subrogate any thing and I remain within my field of expertise. I have on 2 cases helped my company get monies spent on W/C cases by getting all of the details necessary to get the two carrier persons together for the actual act of subrogation. Had I been a young HR or a person acting in the place of "NO HR FOR 1 YEAR" I might not know to pursue this avenue. Likewise, this forum is a very valuable educational tool for us to use.

Thank you TN HR for the opportunity to make another fine point in our world of work called HR.

James, I hope you will also take the opportunity to review the post which was so wrong and pull it next time before it has an opportunity to turn things sour.

PORK
  • If you have to ask the question of whether or not an injury is workers' comp. then you should file a claim with the wc carrier. It is their job to make the determination not you.