FMLA confusion

If an employee voluntarily quits and in the process lets you know he is going to take care of his sick father, are you required to offer FMLA?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Is he quitting because he is going to take care of his father or was a different reason given?
  • FMLA is for EEs intending to return to work. The company has some obligations to notify all EEs about FML - we have it right in our handbook.

We go a step further though and make sure the EE understands the Act in situations where they would otherwise qualify. We don't want to lose our trained staff if we can avoid it.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-28-05 AT 03:26PM (CST)[/font][br][br]You are making way too much of the FMLA. Do not confuse you obligations under FMLA with those you have under, say COBRA – you do not have to offer family medical leave to former employees. On the other hand, why have you not previously informed your employees of their FMLA rights? Why does this guy have to consider resignation in order to care for a seriously ill parent as a viable alternative – that was what the law was intended to prevent. I’ll say it one more time, you do not have to offer FMLA to former employees – that’s a no-brainer. But, assuming this guy is FMA eligible and assuming he is being on the up-and-up with you, it sounds like you missed something along as far as your obligation to inform your employees about their FMLA rights.
  • Whoa there GENO. You don't have enough information to make the assumptions you have and ready to tar and feather someone. Suppose this EE's parent's illness may be prolonged for 5-6 months and the EE is the only care giver. Suppose the parent is terminally ill and may linger for several months and the EE wants to spend all their time with the parent. Maybe this EE knew how much time they would have if granted FMLA and knew it was not enough and therefore resigned.

We / YOU don't know enough to accuse needahero of being negligent.

Those that live in glass houses should not throw stones.
  • If the first time you learned about the sick parent was as the employee was departing, you are not under any obligation to offer FMLA.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-31-05 AT 01:50PM (CST)[/font][br][br]A thousand pardons there POPEYE dude, please forgive the perceived edginess – no tar and feathers intended -- no need for the glass house and stones analogy and who said anything about negligence?

I too can envision a variety of scenarios where an employee might be forced to choose caring for a seriously ill parent over their employment -- but I didn’t get that from the post. What I read was that the ER was learning of the man’s dilemma in the process of his voluntary quit. If the exiting employee’s story was legit (and you are right about assuming too much) then I’m left wondering if he fully understood his FMLA rights in the first place. We all know that the ER cannot force the EE to accept FMLA over unemployment. But if an HR manager asks me whether or not we are obligated to offer FMLA to a departing employee with a qualifying event, I’m left questioning the job we did of informing him of his FMLA rights in the first place – an obligation, that in my humble opinion, the regulations put on the employer.
  • As Marc said, the employer has an ethical obligation, if no other, to at least run the concept of FMLA by the employee. If the employee indicates he is fully aware of his protections under FMLA but is quitting, that's one thing.

I have had employees in the past indicate they were quitting for similar reasons, one involving a child and one, a parent. Posters and multiple-paged procedural statements were posted in conspicuous places, the FMLA had been covered numerous times in employee meetings and it was well covered in their handbook. However, the employee in each case did not even think about FMLA. In both cases, we reminded the ee about his protections under the Act and went that route and in each case, the employee returned after an approved absence.

• You all are amazing and I apoligize that I didn't see your responses sooner. The first time I posted, I was emailed a message every time one of you responded. No emails this time so I assumed my question was too boring to warrant response. Still the rookie apparently.

First- FMLA is presented extensively in the manual of which this EE signed acknowledgement of, and yes we have the poster up in plain view.

We are dealing with 600+ hourly restaurant EEs spread across multiple locations in different cities. Only a small percentage of our EEs even qualify. This EE did not indicate anything about his dad's illness until management asked him why he was quitting and he said to move home and that his dad was sick and he wanted to help take care of him and be near him.

I completely agree with the ethical side of offering it, my concern is more what the risk is if one of our restaurant managers unbeknownst to me in HR doesn't offer it. Is it enough to have it in the handbook and on the poster?
  • No, it's not enough to have it on a poster and have it in a handbook. You, as the employer, are obligated to ADMINISTER the FMLA in accordance with the Act. If your implementing managers are either poorly trained or inefficiently managing, the employer is going to be found by the DOL to be in violation of the FMLA. Time for training!
  • Yes, I agree, it becomes a training issue.