MSDS

Does anyone have a decent website for MSDS Information? I have found it very difficult to use. Does anyone else have that problem or is it just me?
Thank you for your help.
Las Vegas, NV

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What kind of information are you looking for? The MSDS is a "form" specific to a particular product.

Hazardous substances are required by law to have information about safety features and concerns related to the use and storage of such hazardous substances. In most cases, the manufacturer provides the MSDS with the product when purchased.

OSHA has a blank "form" that can be used if a product is lacking the MSDS information. Find that form at: [url]www.osha-slc.gov/Publications/MSDS/msdsform.html[/url]

The MSDS information must be made available to employees who handle the "hazardous product". Normally, they are kept in a binder. They are not normally distributed to employees.

Hope this helps.
  • Thank you! I have just learned about the sheet and I found a website you can enter the name of the product and manufacturer for things like toner, white out etc. I wanted to familiarize myself with this and found it very difficult to pinpoint a product...We have basic office supplies. Do you have MSDS sheets on things like white-out, toner etc.? Or is it just for "extremely hazardous material"? I appreciate the information.
    Liz
  • Since your are "just an office" you may or may not have hazardous products (cleaning solvents for example could be considered hazardous if improperly stored for example). Check out these websites if you really want to get into discovering what is and is not hazardous. (Personally, general office supplies are not normally considered hazardous and you probably don't need to go to this extent...)

To search for the chemical composition by common product name:
    [url]http://hazard.com/msds/[/url]

To obtain an MSDS for any product (need chemical name):
    [url]http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0000.html[/url]

The NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards:
    [url]http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npg.html[/url]

Incidentally, in checking these sites I looked at White out (known as Petroleum Naptha) - here is the MSDS for that...
    [url]http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0492.html[/url]

• WOW!!!!! Your terrific!!!! Thank you!!
    Liz
  • Generally speaking, items in the office such as cleaning supplies and white out do not need an MSDS if they are being used in the manner and quantity of what would normally be done in a household.
  • Depending on your work environment, number of employees, etc, an OSHA insp. will cite you for not having MSDS sheets for any chemical in house. They have been known to look in the deepest places. As an example, we have a smoke area for smokers that is made of treated wood. Guess what, that treatment is a chemical and we have the MSDS for that! Your safest practice would be to have a MSDS sheet on every chemical including white out. DO not under any circumstance have a chemical in a container that is not labeled as to the contents of the container. You will be facing a fine from OSHA.
    We use this web site for management of our MSDS forms, [url]www.getmsds.com[/url]
    While we as a company pay them to manage our MSDS forms access to the site and information is easily found.

• I will use this advice. Thank you all for your help.
  • My safety committee is working on auditing all our MSDS information.

Cleaning supplies and such are the most frequently encountered chemical for our staff. I know that MSDS sheets are required because of the "Right-to-Know" regulations. We have binders with MSDS sheets in several locations, but with changes in staff and products, we have concerns that our binders aren't fully up to date.

I'm wondering if it would also be acceptable to inform employees that MSDS information is also available on-line and HR will provide them with information about any product they are concerned about using. I'm looking for a CYA method, in the event MSDS binders aren't 100% up-to-date. Naturally, we'd have them sign that they received this information.

Any thoughts from you safety gurus?
  • If you have MSDS online will you also have a chemical inventory? If not, I see a problem. Also, ee's must have free and easy access to chemical inventory and MSDS's at any time. If they can only get online Mon-Fri 8-5 that is a problem. By having them online you essentially must give internet access to everyone at your facility at any given moment. May not be a good idea.
  • Thanks lots, that's what I needed to know.
  • Exemptions from MSDS:

- EE's personal cosmetics
    - Items used in the same quantity & manner as household (usually difficult to justify in a work environment)
    - Solid items that you know will not become powder or vapors (pencils)

Included:
    - Anything that is not exempted above that is not labeled "Non-Toxic"
    - Liquids, gases, propellants, powders, or solids that could become so

Requirement:
    - MSDS in alphabetical order by brand name
    - A master chemical inventory list by brand name
    - Labeling on all containers except 1 use within 1 shift within control of employee (i.e. bucket to transfer)
    - "periodic" employee training as per Hazard Communication
    - Archive MSDS's forever, must keep info for 30 years after EE's last day of work with material(as part of Employee Access to Medical & Exposure Records)
    - Must maintain a current MSDS file & inventory readily available to all employees at anytime
  • You can list chemical by manufacturer's name. It does not only have to be brand name. If you do that, manufacturer's name must be on the chemical label.