Can we get out of the hot water?

I recently had a supervisor regard someone has being disabled and basically told the employee that they were not eligible for a position even if they were released from work comp w/o restrictions!!!!! Besides firing the supervisor,how can I get us out of hot water. Can I take back what the supervisor said? Help!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If the supervisor was way off base
    and such comments create legal exposure,
    intervening with a correct course of
    action may not eliminate your delimma
    but it sure would show an active good
    faith effort to correct the supervisor's
    error. Also, past experiance would
    indicate that the employee is in search
    of some good news. Hopefully, you will
    deliver such news prior to the
    employee's council.
  • You don't have to fire the supervisor. But you should take corrective action -- perhaps written counseling and training on how to manage medical issues in the workplace (ADA, FMLA, worker's comp.).

Also, the employee needs to be given correct information about his or her ability to return to work.

Good Luck!
  • I agree with the preceding. Would add that the original supervisor, now fully trained, I'm sure, goes to the employee with "Boy am I dumb, I said .... which was totally wrong. Here's what's right ... " and then give you feedback on the meeting. Now, you go to the employee and say "I hope Ralph was able to give you the correct information ..." That will work.
  • Thanks everybody for your responses. I needed to act quickly. I will let you all know how it turns out.
  • Actually, it's unclear under the way the US Supreme Court has interpreted the
    ADA that the employee has been regarded as having a disability under the ADA.
    He may have been regarded as being unable to do the job in question, but in
    order for an employee to be regarded as unable to perform the major life
    activity of working (which it seems we are talking about here), the employee
    must be regarded as being unable to perform a broad class of jobs. However,
    what the supervisor did is still not good and could lead to a lawsuit. Even if
    you could win it, it would still be problematic. If a doctor has released
    someone to do a job, you should go with what the doctor says. If you think the
    doctor is wrong, then get another opinion. A supervisor cannot decide on his or
    her own that an employee cannot do a job with a contrary doctor's opinion
    staring them in the face. I would reprimand the supervisor, take back what was
    said and put the employee back to work. If you would like to talk about this
    further, give me a call.

John Phillips
    Tennessee Employment Law Letter
    423/785-8325
  • I agree with the preceding message. I have counseled one further step on a similar incident, sensitivity training for not only that supervisor, but for all supervision. I wouldn't stop with ADA but also for EEO. There are several sites on the web which have this type of training. I'm certain our hosts may know of someone in this realm. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." Sorry for the homily, but it is apt.