Employee had a heart attack

We have an employee who experienced a heart attack (not work related)on 3-5-02, and has been out on FMLA. Her doctor is requesting that she work "regular" hours (9:00 - 5:00) when she returns to work in the beginning of June. The problem is that she is a bank teller, and all of our tellers are required to work at least 2 days with evening hours until 7:00 p.m ( This day is a 8 hour shift, starting later in the day). The doctor's note does not indicate the duration of this "regular" work schedule. My questions: Is a heart attack considered a disability under ADA and if so, do I have to change her hours? Is she considered disabled forever?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • ask for clarification on the duration...mike maslanka
  • I would follow up with the doctor and explain to them that "regular hours" at your company means working 8 hours days, but twice a week until 7:00 (which would still be only 8 hours - not overtime). I've found that doctors want the employees to be able to keep their jobs and often if the employer just takes the time to explain the situation and ask if the employee can handle the work, that the doctor will agree. You never know what story the employee is giving the doctor. Maybe the doctor is under the impression that twice a week the employee has to work a lot of overtime if they are staying until 7:00.