CLASSIFYING INJURIES

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-06-02 AT 12:58PM (CST)[/font][p]According to the latest OSHA information regarding record keeping, "An injury is any wound or damage to the body resulting from an event in the work environment." "Examples: Cut, puncture, laceration, abrasion, fracture, bruise, contusion, chipped tooth, amputation, inssect bite, electrocution, or a thermal, chemical, electrical, or radiation burn. Sprain and strain injuries to muscles, joints, and connective tissues are classified as injuries when they result from a slip, trip, fall or other similar accidents." This does not seem to include "My wrist hurts." Is an employer liable to provide treatment for this condition?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I make out my OSHA log, um, I mean fill in my OSHA log within the stated time period after an injury.. I get out my workers compensation files. I go through each one and decide if it's considered a Reportable Incident. Someone who files a company incident report saying their wrist hurts and thats it; 1) hasn't had medical treatment beyond first aid, and 2) the wrist hurting hasn't been determined to a work related injury.
  • Often times the "my wrist hurts" is a precurser to carpel tunnel (or other repetitive stress injuries). You might want to have your safety people look at the job and see if this type of injury is a risk. If it is, you may want to look at how you can eliminate the risk. I have worked on several carpel tunnel cases where the worker's comp commission has found the employer liable. It always started as a "my wrist hurts." So if you can give the employee some help to stop it from progressing (for example, modify the work station or a supportive wrist brace, you should do so.

Good Luck!
  • Is the employer required to provide medical treatment through their designated medical provider just as if this was an injury from an accident?