Temp employees who our injured

A temp employee of ours was hurt on Wednesday while workign for us at our facility. I contacted her employment agency so they could notify their worker's comp.

I was just told by someone yesturday that when temp's get hurt, even though they are employed by an agency, not by us, the injury still goes on my OSHA report. True or False?? and why?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is true if the injury is a recordable injury, i.e. the injury results in death, days away from work, restricted work or transfer to another job, medical treatment beyond first aid, loss of consciousness or diagnosis of a significant injury/illness by a physician or other licensed health care professional.

If the injured temp employee working at your facility receives day-to-day supervision from supervisors (who are directly employed by your company), for this purpose, are in fact considered to be working for you, at your place of work, and are not independent contractors, so their injury will go on your log. IF it's recordable of course. The temp agency is still responsible for covering the cost of medical treatment through their w.comp carrier etc., but you do have to record it on your log because it happened at your facility.

I heard about this rule last year, and was shocked myself because I had not been doing that in the past. I tried to dig around the OSHA site to see if I could find the exact reference number for this rule, but I didn't have any luck as yet. Our local safety council told me this, as well as my loss control underwriter, and I heard it at a workers comp seminar late last year as well.