Ending Past Practice

In the past we have waived the employee's portion (15%) of their health insurance premium when they were off work due to a work-related injury.

Times have been tougher, and we would like to start having them pay their 15%. My thoughts were to end the practice when the current employees (2) return. However, one has been off work since July 2001 and we anticipate it could be as much as another 6 months. The other one has been off since late March 2002 - we expect him back in about 4-6 weeks.

Appreciate any advice or cautions!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >In the past we have waived the employee's portion (15%) of their
    >health insurance premium when they were off work due to a work-related
    >injury.
    >
    >Times have been tougher, and we would like to start having them pay
    >their 15%. My thoughts were to end the practice when the current
    >employees (2) return. However, one has been off work since July 2001
    >and we anticipate it could be as much as another 6 months. The other
    >one has been off since late March 2002 - we expect him back in about
    >4-6 weeks.
    >
    >Appreciate any advice or cautions!

You can change the policy and make it effective immediately, but "grandfather" the two that are off under the old policy. Once they return, the new policy would apply to them also. If you wait for them to return, you take the chance that someone else may go out on a work related injury.

• Ditto. I would agree to announce your new policy ASAP before anyone else goes out on leave. Grandfather the two that are already out, but when they come back let them know that if they need to go out again in the future (even if it is the result of an aggravation of their current injury) that they would fall under the new policy.