WC related Dr. appointments

In our office we are disputing whether employees should be required to take sick leave for Dr. appointments for WC covered injuries or whether they should be allowed to go without using their sick leave. What do you do?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We allow them to go and do not charge their ST.
  • First, we encourage ees to schedule appointmts after hours, if at all possible. If that is not possible, and they want pay, they use sick time for follow up visits. We pay the initial visit on the date of injury.
  • I believe you should check with your friendly wage and hour folks and your carrier. I believe they will confirm you should pay for visit/s. In our situation we pay 100% that includes time on the clock for doctor's visit and follow up treatment. We employers are put in the situation where "we are required to provide a work place free of saftey hazzards"; therefore, the company is automatically at fault under some/any situation for lack of training or education, etc. You would be foolish to make an "injuried employee mad" and concerned for your "lack of concern on their part". It would be just 'that employee' who would pick up the telephone and call the OSHA and tell all about the shape of safety in your company. Right, wrong, and indifferent it does not matter; the charge and the following inspection will make the HR & Safety gurus do a peace dance. The concept is to take care of the injuried employee, fix the unsafe situation, and maintain a safe working environment, (0) ZERO tolerance for unsafe situations, and keep the OSHA dawgs out of your facility and your hair. Let all of those who vote yes to make the employee pay for his doctor's visit/s to also stand in the door to stop the OSHA inspectors from entering. Save a penny and spend a bunch of foolish money. It is called RISK MANAGEMENT! Don't risk it, pay it with a smile and a sincere glad you are ok and back to work; followed by "please help us to prevent the hurt, pain, and suffering of other employees by reporting to me any unsafe conditions".