FMLA

If an employee submits a "Certificate for a Health Care Provider" for a potential FMLA event and the information is not adequate to determine if it is a qualifying event, how can the employer ask for and receive additional information?

Can the employer:

1) ask the employee for the information

2) ask the employee to take a set of prepared questions to his/her care provider,or

3)Can the employer send a list of prepared questions directly to the Health Care Provider if the employee provides an authorization to release the information

We are a public sector employer in the State of Ks.

Thanks for your assistance.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It sorta depends Dave. What specific information was omitted or not sufficient?
  • Dave:
    I think you could use any of those options to obtain any needed PHI data. We seem to have better luck with your option #3, but whatever works for you...... A simple phonecall to the provider might get what you need for non PHI clarification.
  • Welcome to the forum Dave. Please remember that "most" responses you will receive are not meant to be sarcastic or put-downs but only disseminating opinions and or experience.

If your using the DOL certification form or a self-made form, all questions necessary for you to make a decision should be on it. Now, if you don't get those questions answered adequately, you may ask the EE to return it to the physician for clarification.

• I was under the impression that employers could not contact the doctor directly if the time off is for FMLA reasons. I was also under the impression that no other document could be used (or should I say no other questions could be asked) other than what is on the CHP.

Our practice is to send the form, along with a new one, back to the employee with a letter explaining the deficiencies in the information, and at the same time, stating that we are unable to make a determination at this time due to the lack of detail and/or information.
  • I would, in writing, notify the employee that the information was inadequate to make a determination. Here's another form, please provide completed by ??/??/2004. A decision will be made on ??/??/2004 and FMLA may be approved or denied based on the information currently available.