Misuse of FMLA

WI law dictates that employees are allowed up to six weeks of intermittent leave for the birth of a child. This time has to be used within 16 weks of the birth.

I have an employee who just had a child and is currently scheduled to take every Friday for the next 16 weeks off for the bonding time with the child. His supervisor has just come to me and requested my assistance because the supv. just found out that next Friday the EE is planning on going to a car show with another relative (the child will not be going).

Should I inform the employee that this will not be approved since this is not what the intent of the FMLA is or do I not have the right to question what the EE does during this time?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • She is entitled to take the time...the hearsay about what she is doing with the time is just that.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-01-04 AT 06:33PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Sorry, I wrote something here that applies to the federal level, not the state level.
  • This is the perfect example of how employees all over the country, in all of our workplaces, take advantage of government entitlements and abuse an already stupid, legislated law. The employer suffers the result of it all. "Bonding" every Friday for 16 weeks indeed! The employee can afford 4 day paychecks and found a way to have 16 straight 3-day weekends, pure and simple. An example of government regulation at it's very worst!

Otherwise, Mrs. Lincoln, I said to myself, how was the play?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-08-04 AT 01:09PM (CST)[/font][br][br]In Wisconsin, it doesn't matter what the employee does with the time off. They get it, if they want to take it, with or without pay. You can't question why he wants off. He has the right to take it off and he doesn't have to use sick or vacation to cover the hours. This really stinks but talk to your legislator. I plan on talking to mine about it!