But they raised me...

I have an employee who wants to know if she can have FMLA for a grandparent that “raised” her. In her message she states that her parents divorced when she was very young (not sure of the employee’s age at that time) and custody was awarded to her father. She lived with her father and his parents until he (the father) moved. She continued to stay with his parents and now her grandparents are having health problems. She is saying that her grandparents are her parents because they raised her. I have read the law and I was wondering three things. (1) Does this qualify as persons who stood “in loco parentis”? (2)What documentation will the employee need as proof of guardianship? (3)Does this even constitute FMLA? Thanks in advance for your help.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe each state has it's own document that officially "awards" custody. This sounds more like an informal arrangement of which there may be no documentation to support a legal claim. Their standing could also be recognized in court proceedings, but that will not help you today.

As to whether or not the grandparents medical condition would otherwise qualify as an FML event would be up to the medical provider to document. You have not provided enough information about the condition(s) for us to make a judgement call.
  • If they took care of her day to day activities and provided financial support it could apply. Did they claim her on their taxes and could they provide proof?
  • If there was no formal custody or guardianship arrangement, the income tax idea is a great one. Also, if the employee's father paid support to his parents and did it with checks, that may help. I think in loco parentis only applies if there is a legal arrangement in place.
    Linda Emser
  • Does the employee have the paid time off to do this, even without the backing of FMLA?

I'm thinking if it is really important to her...she'll want to be there, even if it's not FMLA Leave.
  • My guess is that your real decision is if you/your company wants to be the test case to clarify the definitions mentioned in the previous posts.

If I had reason to believe that the employee is being truthful to me about the relationship with the grandparents, I would be inclined to grant the leave.
  • I would want some sort of document to back up my decision. Sure you could say the story sounds good, but what about when someone else asks for the same type of leave. If their story is good, you'll have to give it to them.
  • That is an issue. Once you have strayed from relying on documented relationships to relying on your judgement, you have weakened the policy. The next EE that comes in with a strong relationship issue will expect and perhaps deserve the same treatment. Your administration of this area will get nickeled and dimed to death until you must allow FML for the neighborhood postman who got bitten on the butt by Mrs. Jones' dog and needs help convalescing for 12 weeks. I can hear the conversation now:

"He is the best postman, we even give him cookies for Christmas and two bags of canned goods when the food drive comes around. He is so special, he even puts rubber bands around our junk mail - a service he performs for no other mailbox. And he has picked up our mail everyday, rain or sleet or shine. You don't get that type of service from just any mail carrier."
  • I think the postman is stretching it a bit...but it's understandable to want to prevent the abuse of the system.

It's also worthwhile to take good ee's and want to make reasonable accomodations. If this is an ee that you really want/need to keep...you may wish to find a way to make this work. Clearly, the grandparent relationship is important to her...Her dad probably did claim her as a dependant...but that doesn't make him the parent that raised her.

• Copy pasted from the DOL sight - (3) Persons who are ``in loco parentis'' include those with day-to-
    day responsibilities to care for and financially support a child or, in
    the case of an employee, who had such responsibility for the employee
    when the employee was a child. A biological or legal relationship is not
    necessary.
    (d) For purposes of confirmation of family relationship, the
    employer may require the employee giving notice of the need for leave to
    provide reasonable documentation or statement of family relationship.
    This documentation may take the form of a simple statement from the
    employee, or a child's birth certificate, a court document, etc. The
    employer is entitled to examine documentation such as a birth
    certificate, etc., but the employee is entitled to the return of the
    official document submitted for this purpose.

Here's the link

[url]http://www.dol.gov/dol/allcfr/ESA/Title_29/Part_825/29CFR825.113.htm[/url]

• Thanks, dchr9203. I know about "loco parents" but didn't know about documentation.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • Catch me on a 'good day' and I'll grant this one.
  • Now Don, you of all people should know that you shouldn't grant FML based on how you feel on a certain day. You should grant it based on specific black and white documentation. We can't let our feelings creep into our administration FMLA.:oo