FMLA

Employer received a note from an employees psychologist stating the employee has high anxiety. In order to qualify for FMLA, does the diagnosis of a mental condition need to be more speceific such as a DSM 1V type of diagnosis. Help please

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • > Employer received a note from an employees psychologist stating the
    >employee has high anxiety. In order to qualify for FMLA, does the
    >diagnosis of a mental condition need to be more speceific such as a
    >DSM 1V type of diagnosis. Help please

Staunton - I personally would not know the difference between DSM 1V, PQR 2W or ABC 123 and I really don't need to know. What is important is that the certifying physician states that the appropriate incapacitation; if not treated will lead to incapacitation; intermittent treatments or a regimen of medication is necessary. Sometimes I do wish I had a medical degree and could make some diagnosis on some of my EEs. BTW - welcome to the Best Darn Forum on the Web!!
  • I agree with Popeye - it's not the diagnosis that counts, it's whether the criteria for serious health condition are met.

I had to explain this to our union a couple of weeks ago when we terminated an employee for attendance, after we denied his FMLA request because the medical certification didn't meet the criteria of serious health condition (no incapacity, no medical treatment, no regimen of continuing treatment, not a chronic condition, etc.) The shop steward questioned whether I was "medically qualified" to determine whether the employee had a serious health condition. I stay out of the diagnosis and rely on the criteria.
  • Agree with both posts - stay out of determining what a serious health condition is based on the diagnosis (which shouldn't appear on the FMLA form in the first place) and concentrate on the facts surrounding the condition. If the medical facts allow the condition to fall under "serious health condition", it would qualify.