Forced HR Certification

We are growing rapidly and our Executive Director wants me to force my HR Manager to obtain HR Certification at her own expense and on her own time. I have a real problem with this because she: 1) has great HR experience (>10yrs); 2) possesses a MS degree; 3) is doing a great job; and, 4) and I see no definable reason why our growth requires, all of a sudden, a need for a certification that did not previously exist. I particularly have a problem with this because the Director wants to force the additional training/education yet is not willing to pay for it.

If push comes to shove and he wishes to force the issue and she does not want to do it can we discipline her (even though I don't want to) and would she have cause for action? Comments?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-23-02 AT 02:16PM (CST)[/font][p]After 10 years in the job, one would assume the job's educational and skill-set requirements are met. I didn't see anything in your post about whether she meets the written job requirements or if there has been ongoing discussion in performance reviews about the lack of desire toward self improvement, etc. Assuming there's none of that lurking, if I were in that person's shoes, I would write the boss a confidential, very appreciative letter, telling him or her that I certainly appreciate the company's interest in increasing my job knowledge and that I am a strong advocate of job related training and continuing education. Having said that, I would also say that at this particular time, I do not want to pursue this opportunity at my own expense. I wouldn't say Jack about not being able to afford it or having other obligations or the timing is wrong for me financially. I would close by saying "I would like for HR and management to discuss the possibility of establishing a voluntary companywide educational assistance program so that we can invest in our employees at the same time they are improving their skill set." And I would say no more about it. Surely s/he won't be a target for termination based on this situation. If the boss is as hard-headed about it as you suggest, its certainly an unrealistic expectation and unreasonable demand. In an at-will state the boss can probably pull it off though. What a charming fellow to work for.