Refusal to advise need for the FMLA leave

I'm sure this has been addressed in the past but in the hurried situation I'm in I need to ask it again. How do we handle an employee's request for FMLA leave when they refuse to advise you what the leave is for other than for "health reasons"? This person is a long-time salaried employee.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • He/she will need to get a medical certification from his/her doctor. Your medical certification should ask for a diagnosis, which will tell you what the problem is. If you don't have FMLA forms that request this, e-mail me and I'll send you ones you can use. I'll also send you a form that the employee has to fill out to request the leave with the employers reply as a part of the form.

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • I downloaded the DOL form WH-381 (Request for Family/Medical Leave) and form WH380 (Certification of Health Care Provider) for the DOL website. On the request for leave it states that if requested, medical certification must be furnished in 15 days. By using the DOL forms, the employee will realize that you are following the letter of the FMLA law and he must also.