Intermittent FML

We need input on the following secerio:

The employee is on "Intermittent"FML. She had a "protected" episode and broke some ribs. She missed two days because of the broken ribs and is now calling in because of pain associated with the fractures. Since the fractures are a result of an episode covered under the intermittent FML Certification, are the subsequent call-ins for pain related to the fractures also covered under this same certification?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • >We need input on the following secerio:
    >
    >The employee is on "Intermittent"FML. She had a "protected" episode
    >and broke some ribs. She missed two days because of the broken ribs
    >and is now calling in because of pain associated with the fractures.
    >Since the fractures are a result of an episode covered under the
    >intermittent FML Certification, are the subsequent call-ins for pain
    >related to the fractures also covered under this same certification?

I would agree with Gar, but I would want an updated medical certification.

• I agree that this would be considered "intermittent". I would also ask for additional medical certification.
  • I would definitely get a doctor's certification that her pain warrents time off. Who knows? The doctor may even say that if the pain is under control with medication, the employee can work. We had an employee that was frequently absent because of pain related to some sort of bladder/urinary tract infection. We didn't count her absences as FML because her own doctor wrote on our certification sheet that the time off wasn't necessary if she could drink water on the job and have access to a bathroom break every two hours (we are a manufacturing plant).