Electronic applications

Hi everyone, I posted this question on the forms site, but thought I'd try posting it here as well. I am exploring the possibility of putting our application form on our website. Applicants must also sign two release forms as we have an extensive background check process. What are the advantages and disadvantages of putting the application form and releases on the website? Your input is appreciated.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We moved our application online last year and its been a tremendous success. We still offer other methods of applying as well (download the application for printing out or have an application packet mailed to the applicant).

Advantages:
    - Huge if your applicants are younger. Our summer staff applicants are almost ALL submitted online now.
    - Convenient. Being able to fill out an application while sitting in a Starbucks with their laptop just fits into people's lifestyles
    - Convenient online storage. We print out a paper copy of each application submitted by I also like the ability to have an electronic version.
    - Required fields. You can create an online application to have required fields, meaning the applicant cannot submit the form without answering certain questions.

Disadvantages
    - No signature. We have people type their name as their "online signature".
    - Unwanted applicants - having your application online will likely create more unwanted applicants
    - Lack of handwriting - I always felt that an applicants careful, neat handwriting was a positive sign. With online applicants, you dont have this information. A really messy application was also helpful information.
    - Potential discrimination issues. If you only allow online applications, you could be creating a situation where its less likely for disadvantaged minorities to apply which could lead to an adverse impact allegation.

I signed up with [url]www.wufoo.com[/url] and easily created my online application. Its easy to use, customizable, and creates various types of reports for you. You can even have a text message sent to your cell phone anytime an application is submitted.

I pay $9 a month for the service.
  • One thing I would add, I think its not a question of "if" a company should move their applications online but rather "when".

Someday soon, I believe its fair to say that applicants will EXPECT to be able to apply online and those companies that don't offer this will suffer for it.