Performance Evaluation - transition from calendar yr to anniversary date

Can anyone share their experience in transitioning from calendar year to annivesary date reviews with wage increases

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We did this once eons ago. We prorated all the increases. Those with less than 1 year were given less, and those with a little more than 1 year were given more. There were some grumbles, but most were ok with it. The key was clear communication well before we started the process.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Stay with annual calendar reviews and salary adjustments for all employees! Everywhere that I have worked, I have insisted in everyone being reviewed at the same time and all salary increases happening at the same time. Using anniversary dates is a nightmare. Managers will "forget" to do them and you will be chasing to get them done. By having everyone doing them at the same time of the year, we are all in the same boat. Set a date to have them all done, publish it to all employees and enforce it. No manager wants to be the one who has to tell his or her employees that they are the only ones who didn't get their wage increase.
  • I totally agree with Mentel. We do raises on anniversary dates but we conduct our performance reviews in December all at the same time. No more chasing managers and supervisors around all year. Its much easier to communicate organizational goals consistently.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-22-08 AT 12:54PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Hadn't thought about handling them that way - good idea. It gives you time to make sure the review is done before the raise becomes effective. I am currently hounding a manager to complete a review that should have been turned in by the 9/15 pay period. x:-(

Edit - I talked with my CFO about this idea and - what if someone's performance goes down sharply (or increases sharply) between the review and the raise? Or are your raises not tied to reviews?

• Our raises are not tied to reviews. Our board sets our annual increase based on our budget projections. We also do periodic merit raises.

I am unconvinced that connecting raises to evaluations works. It sounds like a good idea but in reality I think it lends itself to favoritism, politicking, showboating, and hurt feelings.
  • Sounds like a union environment to me. Does everyone get the same increase?

These merit increases, what does one have to do to get one?
  • No union here but we are a non-profit and I think generally we do our jobs better when we are mission-oriented rather than money oriented.

Yes everyone gets the same increase. Its generally been 2.5 to 3.5 percent.

Merit raises can be initiated when an ee takes on new responsibilities or has acquired new skills or knowledge.