Electronic Communicatoin problems

I am starting to see a pattern of communication problems. The problem arises out of employees now using almost entirely electronic communications. They will email or instant message( condoned use to communicate between offices) people 2 cubicles away from them. The problem we have is, often these emails or IM’s are kept to the minimum wording and often come off upsetting the receiver. Mostly they are just written poorly and not meaning to be sent with ill intention, but the writer knows their frame of mind or reason for sending the email, but the receiver is apt to interpret it depending on their frame of mind. I took a course a while back on this, how no matter how an email is written, great care should be taken as it is received in whatever frame of mind the person is in when opening the email. I’d like to find a course to send everyone to, but also would like to know if anyone has any other suggestions. Our customers would benefit also as our support department communicates often in large amounts with our customers by email. Suggestions?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have been trying to follow a rule that if after 2 emails in an exchange there is still conflict or apparent misunderstanding, I pick up the phone and call the other party. I find it works. Continuing an email string just exacerbates the problem. Many of our directors operate this way, at least those who really try to communicate effectively.
  • I guess I see the burden rests on the "offended" employee to seek clarification. I kind of have a pet peeve towards people who get "upset" but do nothing about it other than complain or run to a supervisor.

Or just have everyone add a :) to every e-mail or instant message. Smileys make it all better.

Watch:

Hey Ray, how is that pink couch of yours?

x:D
  • I will agree with you about those who get offended easily, yet take no other action than complaining. This is my constant peeve. I have someone I am letting stew right now because she will not go to her supervior to talk to him about her concerns. This is her MO. Cry poor maiden, then lay on the tracks waiting for Dudly Do Right to come save her and fight off the bad guys. I told her Dudley is not comeing, go to your supervisor. (not in those words but...)

Our situation is more those who do not know how to write well and it is very easy to offend the way they have wrote it. Last week rather than asking for a Support Dept meeting to finalize some changes in the manner support is done, this was sent out:

We are having a Support Meeting to point out some descrepancies in the manner in which support is being done. TIckets are not being responded to and customers not served in a timely manner. The actions of one agent are reflecting on the entire department.

It turned into a big deal, and I had to get involved and although I think some back off was done, the person sending the email says they meant only to call a meeting so they could all finalize the things they had been previously talking about. That is not at all what the email conveyed, and others in the Dept felt they were being set up to look bad. The person was counceled on how they should send an email and how this got out of hand, but I thought a course would help solid up the idea and also have the added benefit of better communication to our customers also.