HR files

Not sure where to post this. I was on vacation last week and discovered that the Manufacturing Manager had been in the HR files. As Manufacturing Manager he has the right to request files for Manufacturing but should not have access to Administration, Engineering Customer Services, Sales, etc.

Apparently my boss, the CFO, had to complete an employtment verification for one of our employees and he left the cabinent unlocked.

The Manufact Mgr is on vacation this week and I plan I handling this situation on Monday. Any suggestions? My boss doesn't see this as a big deal but he got upset when I told him his file was right in front of the file that the Manu Mgr was looking through. My boss then said that the Manu Mgr would never look into another area's files. So...... I don't see any support in that area.

I need to let this guy know that he had no business in my files. Help!

Comments

• 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When he gets back, take him to lunch. Just as he finishes say, "By the way, if you ever, without authorization, look in confidential files again, the next lunch I buy you will be your last meal.x:D
  • I see a major problem with this and would confront the MM. Maybe the CFO gave him permission and is not telling you. I would give him a chance to tell his side of the story, but then lay down the rules. This does not put a good light on the MM, if he's willing to go in these files, what else is he willing to do. Also I hope you slapped your CFO's hands...if he would have locked up, this would have never happened.
  • Dre, I appreciate your reply. From the CFO's reaction, I thought that I may have been over reacting to this situation.

• I don't think it matters if the MM would look at someone else's files or not. The point is that the employer has an obligation to keep the records of employees confidential, and employees have a right to expect that confidentiality. Looking in confidential files should be on a need to know basis, and leaving a confidential cabinet unlocked or 'just checking out' someone's file without specific authorization are both no-no's. CFO's and MM's are on a high enough level to know better.

If it really, really bothered me, I think I would approach my boss again and tell them so. I would say I have been thinking about their response which I read as if it wasn't really a big deal when I think it is a big deal and then explain why I think it is a big deal. They could then respond with a too bad or I get your point. Either way I would feel I had done everything I could to protect the rights of the employees.

Good luck!

Nae
  • I was just looking at some statisics you can tell your CFO.....The Federal Trade Commission reported that 90% of indentity theft in the work place is information retrived from payroll or employment records.
  • I would approach the MM, tell him I was advised he'd been in the files, and tell him he is not allowed to get in there. If he needed a particular file, he should have asked you, or the person acting in your absence.

Did he just happen to wander by and notice the files unlocked and got nosey? Or did he ask the CFO if he could get a file and the CFO told him to get it himself? I wonder if it was the latter.

My boss saw another manager helping herself to a file when they were left unlocked (middle of the day, we'd stepped away) and gave her hell. Locked or unlocked, they need to keep their paws out of the files.
  • Simple solution. Your files should be locked with very limited access to the keys.
  • She said they were. The CFO left them unlocked. If you can't trust them to be responsible, then who?
  • Having learned the hard way by jumping to conclusions too quickly would back up a step. How do you know that the MM was in the files? Is there an eyewitness to this?

Would then have a chat with the MM - perhaps start off by indicating that you were out and heard that he may have been looking for you so you wanted to follow-up to see if you could help. That gives you a good lead-in without putting him on the defensive.

If he did look in the files then it's an opportunity to advise that it is not allowed and ask how comfortable he would be if he heard the (insert a name) Sales Manager was in the HR files.....

Who do you report to? If it's the CFO then they under-reacted - may not be comfortable admitting that they made a mistake which they clearly did by not locking up.

Am sure that someone thought the folks at Enron weren't doing anything wrong either but that would have been based on opinion only (subjective) - facts speak for themselves.
  • You raise some good points. The MM emailed me while I was on vacation and told me he filed some paperwork in John Doe's file. The CFO did not know the the MM did that. Oh, the paperwork was a performace review of our best manager. The MM gave him a marginal rating. I am appalled. But that's another story.

The MM is back today. I have been unable to get him to visit. Will keep you posted.

• Would you believe the MM is avoiding me? I still have not had a chance to discuss this with him.
  • Can you just march to his office or work area or whatever and say "I need a minute of your time..." Don't ask him, tell him. Wear rubber soled shoes so he can't hear your heels clicking when you are coming down the hall. x:D
  • I really do not want this to be adversarial. I need to work with this jerk. He usually stops in with a question or a FYI thingy and I'll catch him then.

Today was payday and the managers stop in a pick up their areas checks. So.......... I figured I'd see him then. Guess what, he popped in when I was out and grabbed his checks. Dam!
  • You could smile nicely when you sneak up on him, and you could speak in a friendly tone of voice. Don't have to pick a fight. Works for me.

Granted, our offices have almost no walls or dividers. Only place to hide is in your car or the restroom. Makes my job easier, except when I'm the one who wants to hide.
  • R,
    Back to my original suggestion. Take him out to lunch.
  • She can't find him.

Set a platter of freshly baked cookies on your desk. He'll be there in no time.
  • She could e-mail him and invite him to lunch, her treat. What man has ever turned down a free meal?
  • Ladies, I'm thinking 5 painful minutes and then it's over. Lunch is out of the question. They do not pay me enough for that.
  • Just tell him you know people from back east and if he pulls that stunt again, he's history. Works when you tell me that.
  • "I really do not want this to be adversarial. I need to work with this jerk."

She has to finesse him a little bit Ray. Keep the peace but still send a message. That's why I suggested the cookies.

Or just skip the conversation. Confiscate the CFO's file cabinet key and maintain complete control of the cabinets so it never happens again.
  • Q, That's another story. There are a million of 'em in the naked city.
  • Ok, here's the end of the story. MM came into my office with a question. After answering his question I asked him if he had a minute. I then pointed to the HR file cabinets and told him that they were strictly confidential and off limits to him and any other unauthorized individual. He said that they were unlocked. I told him that the CFO, my boss, unlocked them and forgot to lock them and it was not his concern.

Are ya ready???

MM then said it is the CFO's fault not his. Honest. That's what he said.

I lost it. I gave him the "look" and in a monotone voice, almost a whisper I told him that the CFO is not the issue. He violated a trust and has created a confidentiality concern.

He could not get out of my office fast enough. Must have seen the wild look in my eyes. Ahhhhhhh, revenge is wonderful.
  • xclap

You ROCK! I bet you looked just like Clint Eastwood and everything. "Do ya feel lucky, punk? Well do ya?"

What a cocky ba$st#$d. Not any more.
  • Yay ritaanz! Nothing like inspiring fear in the heart of employees to make HR's day...sometimes I love this job.
  • I agree with Q. You ROCK!

Isn't it sad to see someone with so much responsibility and authority react like a 1st grader and say it was someone else's fault? Your comeback was perfect!

Nae
  • After thinking about this a while, I realized that the MM's reaction is the same every time. It is never manufacturing's or his fault or problem. He blames other depts and people and does not ever assume any responsibility or accountability.

This is not the end my friends.