Job postings

Our policy is to post open positions, both internally and externally. The Department Head is supposed to notify HR when an opening occurs via an "Employee Requisition Form". Recently, an employee resigned and the Department Head decided to promote another employee in the Department. No posting of the open position was done as the "Employee Requisition Form" was not given to HR. There was time to spare, as the resigning employee was not leaving for 2 months. A Board member is objecting to the non-posting. My question is, if anyone out there posts open positions, do you post if there is an internal promotion?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our policy states that if an ee from the same area is available (and qualified) to fill the open position then we do not "have to" post the position for all other employees. Even when this happens it ends up creating another open position so there is a domino effect, sometimes for multiple positions.
    Big difference is that this is how our job posting policy is written.
  • All positions are posted by HR by submitting a "Request for Job Posting". In the event that the Department Head believes there are sufficient qualified employees then it is posted internally only. Therefore even internal promotions go through a competitive hire process.
  • Our policy is about like Dutch's. But, all promotions, whether posted or not, must be approved by HR. We review to make sure the process is being handled fairly.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-13-07 AT 07:20AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We post all positions internally and can post externally inconjunction with internal. We (HR) are involved through out and had this situation occured here, the Dept. Head would be in deep do-do.
  • Our policy is very similar to Dutch's policy, too. However, the key is that even if the position was not posted company wide, if there were others in the immediate department that were potentially interested and qualified besides the one that was offered the position, problems could still arise.
  • we post all internal. Sometimes we indicate we have a "preferred candidate" on the posting (for situations such as yours). I always encourage managers to interview internal apps. It's good experience for all involved.
  • We have an internal posting system, and post all openings not covered by a CBA(they generally have their own rules) up to a certain organizational level EXCEPT:

Entry level positions
    Rotational assignments
    Positions created by reassigning job duties within a department (and no new position is created)
    Restructuring
    Accommodations for expats returning, and folks returning from a guaranteed leave.

In Prairie's situation, because it was a vacancy, and assuming that the newly promoted person's position was going to be filled and not eliminated (leaving this lucky soul to do both jobs :), the vacancy would have been posted with a notation "potential candidate identified".

Whether the job was posted or not, at most levels of the organization the promotion would have been reviewed with HR anyway to make sure that the appropriate promotional criteria had been met by the employee.
  • Thanks so much - these were all really helpful ideas - have a great week!
  • Yes we do. We may put a tag on the position that an internal candidate has been identified but we allow those interested to apply. It is best to be consistent what ever you do.
  • I've never heard of noting on the posting that a candidate has potentially been identified, but I see several of you do that. Please explain....
  • We do indicate that an internal candidate has been identified but we consider all applicants. Sometimes people you wouldn't expect apply and we won't make a final decision until all candidates have been considered. It just means we have someone identified that has the skill set necessary for the position.
  • Like Nevada, I find that a bit unusual. I would think it could discourage others from applying.
  • I echo Catbert's and others' comment. We post all openings internally for two weeks, so that staff know when there are positions available. Before we did this we heard complaints of "if I had known there was an opening...." when we simply promoted from within the department, or worse, recruited a paricular person from outside the department. It is just a good PR move, even if the only logical applicant is right under the hiring supervisor's nose.

We do indicate if there is a "strong internal candidate" both internally and on our web site posting. People seem to want to know this up front. I do insist that hiring supervisors interview ALL internal applicants as a courtesy to our staff, even if there is a strong internal candidate. Strong simply means that there is a clear frontrunner for the position, but you really don't know until you post who has what skills to offer.

I've always struggled with what to do when existing positions are reconfigured, that is, duties shuffled around or added, so it was helpful to have someone earlier articulate that if duties are added the position is NOT posted.