Help Wanted Ads

We are currently searching for Sales Reps in different states and as part of our policy we require residency within the assigned territory.

I recently submitted an ad to a newspaper that stated "Candidates must live in Anytown,IL".

The newspaper rep contacted me and told me that this statement was discriminatory and I would have to remove it from my ad before he could run it.

This was a new one on me. Is this discriminatory? Do we have to change our policy?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't think your ad is discriminatory because you are not disqualifying a specific group, i.e., gender, sexual orientation, race, color, age, religion, disability, pregnancy, veteran’s or military status, ethnicity, ancestry, or national origin. Don't know about your state, but these are all the areas covered by the EEOC in our state when it comes to employment practices. I'd find another newspaper to place the ad in.
  • I would call the newspaper back and ask them how it was discriminatory. What law does it break? My guess is that someone lower on the totem pole made an erroneous deduction and then went with it.

And yes, if you have another paper available to you, go with it. We only have one here, so I would be a little more obstinate.

Good luck!

Nae
  • "Candidates must live in Anytown,IL".

I agree with my esteemed colleagues, but, just to be on the safe side, I would make sure the job description listed "must reside in sales territory" as one of the qualifications.
  • Thanks! I thought I was right but I must admit this guy made me think twice.

I'm not discriminating against a protected class, we just want you to reside in your assigned territory.

Well, I'll have to call the paper. It's the biggest paper in Chicago so we'll definitely have to use them.

• In the mid-to-late '80s I was a newspaper editor. One of our local competitors still had their help wanted classified sections divided by "Jobs for Men" and "Jobs for Women". In the '80s, for crying out loud! I mocked that paper once at a seminar, and didn't realize the publisher was sitting behind me. Quite embarrassing... for him!