Bilingual Grammar

Posted for RACarson

We hired 16 bilingual (Spanish/English) employees for a new client 90 days ago. The client is now stating that the grammar of some of the employees is not proper or professional and is not being understood by English speaking customers. Do you have any suggestions on correcting grammar usage of employees who speak English as a 2nd language? Documenting/corrective action plan?
----------------------------
This is the thread that vanished from the Forum last week. If you have helpful advice for RACarson, please post it here. For more information on the thread's vanishing act, go to the separate thread titled "Missing Thread." After Wednesday, April 18, you can find that thread in the "How to Use Employers Forum" section. tk

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think its reasonable to expect that your employees can communicate effectively in English. How else can a business run?

My only thought is that the standard of what is acceptable English should not be made so high as to adversely impact one non-Native speakers.

Also, the standard should be appropriate for the position, meaning a higher standard would be OK for customer service positions while not necessary for someone who does a job that does not require much communication.

I would be careful how you go about this though. English is a very difficult language to learn much less master.

Here is what I found on the EEOC website:

Generally, a fluency requirement is permissible only if required for the effective performance of the position for which it is imposed. Because the degree of fluency that may be lawfully required varies from one position to the next, employers should avoid fluency requirements that apply uniformly to a broad range of dissimilar positions.

As with a foreign accent, an individual's lack of proficiency in English may interfere with job performance in some circumstances, but not in others. For example, an individual who is sufficiently proficient in spoken English to qualify as a cashier at a fast food restaurant may lack the written language skills to perform a managerial position at the same restaurant requiring the completion of copious paperwork in English.(45) As illustrated below, the employer should not require a greater degree of fluency than is necessary for the relevant position.

The link:
    [url]http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/docs/national-origin.html#VB[/url]

• I don't know if this would be "physically possible" but have you ever thought of hiring a school teacher who teachers "English as a second language" to come and teach some classes (say last thing in the afternoon or even at night.) You could say that it isn't "mandatory, but highly advised" so you don't insult anyone. However, if the language is a problem and it is a requirement of the job, you would have to address as a preformance issue. They could still get unemployment since it was a "bad hiring" situation instead of something directly related to the employee.

E Wart
  • This is not just a bilingual situation.
    There are lots of training courses that ee's can attend to help them with grammar, spelling, etc. We have had several ee's attend these sessions to "brush up" on their writing skills. Especailly those that may change positions and have not been required to prepare legal documents or formal or business letters that go our under the company name.