Time off to vote?

I operate in a union mfg. facility in Alabama. At my previous plant this did not come up, but the union here has informed me we "have" to let people off to vote. I don't think there is a law addressing this in Alabama, but I'm not sure and can't find anything on the AL legislative web site.

Thanks.

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Alabama does not have a voting leave law. Of course, check your CBA as well.

Al Vreeland
    Editor, Alabama Employment Law Letter
    Lehr Middlebrooks Price & Vreeland, P.C.

• Also check with your voting offices for their hours of operation. We allow our ee's off to vote, County Court House is literally across the street from us. But we encourage them to go before or after work.

• Many states require that employers give employees time off to go and vote (such as New York State). However, since the polls are open from early in the morning to nine at night, there is ample time to vote outside of work hours.

You may be dealing with a past practice with your union. Find out if the employer has let employees off to vote in the past on a consistent basis. If there is no CBA language or past practice, do not get too concerned about what the union says you must do. I have had such statements made to me many times and found them to be incorrect.
  • In South Carolina, polls are open from 7A to 7P, so we don't let employees off to vote.
  • If the Union is saying "you have to", is it in their contract?
    Normally, even if states have a law, it says something to the effect that they should have a block of time that allows them to vote. If your hours are such that they don't have this "block of time" you have to give them some time off. However, even in states that thave this law (I think CA does), it doesn't say you have to pay them. (Our TX Plant does, which I think is stupid since they have about 3 hours in which they could vote after work hours. Why pay them and let them off additional time to do this? Just a nice GM.)
    E Wart
  • No - it's not in their contract and the argument that was made that the people who work from 5:30 AM to 5:30 PM are "too dirty" to go vote without a bath first and that would take them too long. It's pretty much nonsense and, I think, an attempt to try the "new one."

They did not want pay, just to be excused. We'll look at it closer to the general election but I'm sure not inclined -- if they are that urgent about voting they can vote "dirty."

Thanks everyone.