EE Constructing Barbell

Interesting situation...

We have an employee who is currently serving time in jail but is able to come to work under the Huber law which means he is released from jail only to work. He has been a great worker and has taken on additional responsibilities as they have presented themselves. He is young, turning 21 today.

Earlier this week we found a "barbell" set up in a back area of our manufacturing plant and had been constructed using gears and a shaft (obviously not safe and a worker's comp. hazard).

In completing our investigation we questioned a longer term EE, who also is one of our lead people, on the item and he claimed to have no idea at all about it and no knowledge that it was even there. Both the production manager and the supervisor believed him (he had been written up for a serious safety violation last year). As we continued with our investigation other EEs came forward to say that this EE, the leadperson, had questioned them about obtaining certain pieces that were found on the barbell.

Last night the EE who is the younger one came to me and confessed that he was responsible for the barbell and admitted his usage on it. When questioned regarding whether or not he had assistance he hedged and initially stated that he did it alone but when I informed him that I did not believe this and further had statements from others regarding the 2nd EE, he did admit that this second EE gave him the idea and helped him obtain parts for it.

The first EE will be disiplined but I'm unsure of what level of discipline to afford the 2nd EE. I'm wondering if we should give him another chance to "come clean" and if he doesn't look at termination or should we just assign a lesser level of discipline and not afford him the opportunity to "come clean" and remove his lead person responsibilities?

Thanks for the assistance.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So the barbell was set up so that they could work out? Would this be happening on company time? Just curious.

Its an unfortunate fact of life that ee's often lie when they are in trouble. Does that make them liars or are they just following the lead of our elected officials?

The big issue with lying is that it destroys trust and trust is an essential aspect of any relationship, including an employment relationship.

You can't have a lead person who is not being straight with you. I dont know that you need to give him another chance to "come clean" however. He lied. You found out. He should have told the truth the first time.

Whether you should terminate or something else isn't something I can recommend without knowing more about how you have dealt with similar issues in the past but I would definitely suspend his lead responsibilities immediately.
  • I'm not sure of the problem with the barbell - is it just a safety violation or did they destroy or steal property?

Sounds like the lead ee did the worst. It was his idea, he got the parts, lied to protect himself and maintained the lie for a while. Being a leader and long-term ee, he really should know better.

The ee from jail did something stupid but had the honesty to confess. He momentarily lied to protect someone else (someone in a supervisory role over him????). Unless I'm missing something, I'd give the young guy LESS severe discipline than the lead ee.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • I would discipline both. The lead more severely than the rest.
  • I believe that like most above punishment for both is in order. The leadperson, I would suspend his leadership role and cut his pay back to what it was with lesser job responsibilities. Discipline for the prisoner is really important to the self worth and future development of this individual. A letter of instruction and a few days in his cell for a few days may bring him further along in his world than anything. He could have lost his opportunity, but for his final confessing and coming to the truth about the whole mess he was able to save his opportunity and he will never stump his toe again.

PORK

HR in TN4Life, welcome on-board, your response reads like another subscriber from TN might have provided you these thoughts!
  • So, is there a difference between a dumbbell and a barbell?
  • Thanks for the responses. The leadperson was questioned again and vehemently denied any knowledge or involvment in this situation, although we all doubt that he was telling the truth. Unfortunately, after questioning the leadperson he went onto the production floor and had "words" with the EE who admitted his involvement. While he, the leadperson, denies any type of intimidation was involved, again we doubt the truthfulness of his statement.

When the EE who admitted his involvement was questioned a second time he changed his story and is now taking the full "rap" for this situation so there isn't anything we can do to prove the leadperson was lying. While I think it "stinks", I cannot discipline the leadperson without having serious issues down the line with our union so in essence, the leadperson gets off "scott free".

The EE who took responsibility has received a formal written warning for the situation.

As for the difference between a barbell and a dumbell, a barbell has a longer shaft and is lifted using both arms while a dumbbell is shorter and one is used for each arm, at least I think that is the way it is.
  • Well, Linda, you aren't the first HR pro to be frustrated by someone who is a really good liar and isn't afraid to intimidate others.

I suppose you don't have surveillance tapes of that area that could be accessed to see if the lead person was actually helping build the barbell?

Can you still document the incident and put a copy in the lead ee's file? I would stop short of saying you felt he was lying but you could at least document that there was some question as to the veracity of his statements.