NO SHOW NO CALL-THIRD TIME

This employee is a good worker but has pushed the envelope on absenteeism. I have spoken to him and he is contrite. It seems that he has a drinking problem. What is the best way to handle this? We dont have a program in place but we are willing to foot the bill if he's willing to go for help. He has only been with us a few months.
He has not admitted that he has a problem.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • First of all, assume nothing when it comes to alcoholism or other impairments which could fall under the protection of the ADA. To presume that he has a 'drinking problem' is not your duty, nor is it your business. We'll get back to that in a moment.

You can only deal with the behavior and policy violations. You say he's 'pushing the envelope' as far as absenteeism is concerned. What is pushing the envelope? What does your policy say? In our company, for example, three no-call, no-shows automatically equates to the individual being dropped from the payroll and characterized as a voluntary quit.

With regard to your suspicions about the employee's 'problem': If he discloses to you that he has a drinking problem, certain protections under the ADA would kick in and you would need to make a determination whether he can perform the essential functions of his position with or without accommodation. If he comes to you and says he wants help, and you're willing to provide it, be prepared to live with the fact that you have just established a policy that will be available to any other impaired worker who comes to you for assistance.

Since you've only invested a few months in this employee, you might be better served to cut your losses, term due to policy violation and stay the heck away from any discussion of his 'problem.'
  • SHELIA: Your ee has a disease, which has taken over his mental and physical abilities. The pattern of most, once hooked, is a down hill spiral to an unknown future. He will not be able to turn the issue around and spiral up, forever, until he admits to having the "disease". On the downward spiral of events in one's life he/she will most likely loose their family before they loose their jobs. it appears that your company may have a tremendous opportunity to help, but first the company must be willing to "cut him loose". "loosing one's job" brings the individual to a point of realization that "hey I am about to loose my financial ability to support my negative life style!" There are no guarantees, but history has shown that the sick person begins to understand that he needs help with life and will make a turn.

In our company three days "no call, no show" will cause and immediate termination dated 10 minutes after the scheduled time for work on the 4th day. He will tomorrow morning be without a job and if documented as having a drinking problem, he can not be considered for re-hire until he has completed a drug and alcohol rehab program!

He and your company will be better off if you call it "quits NOW".

PORK
  • Our policy states that no call, no show for 3 days is considered job abandonment and they are no longer our ee.

As far as the other issue you do not have proof this is the case nor has he informed you he has a problem let him go.
  • Forget contrite. If you have a no-show, no call policy in place, fire him. If you don't have one in place, give him a written warning that the next time he is absent with calling in he will be fired (and fire him the next time).
  • Follow your policy (or past practice absent a policy) for his absenteeism. One word of caution: Do not get in the habit of diagnosing addictions unless you are medically qualified to do so. Even then, it's a risky proposition, at best.

Remember that the ee need not have a protected disability or even admit to having it. Your mere belief that he does is enough to grant him protection. Stop it now.

Good luck.

Gene
  • You are enabling him by "feeling sorry" for him. Sounds like he has a problem. Sometimes people in this situation don't face it until they reach rock bottom. If you have an EAP, refer him to it.
    However, if you have an attendance policy that addresses no call no show, follow it. I call this a self termination. You aren't doing it... he is by now showing up. Would you treat all your employees the same way you are treating him. (What about someone who is a poor performer.) Treat them all the same.

E Wart
  • I had this exact thing happen with an ee that I supervise. He was here a month and then did not show up or call off work for 2 days. The 3rd day he showed up and thought nothing of it. I gave him a written warning. Then a month later, he did the same thing and I gave him another warning. He swore that he called off on my voice mail. I gave him a written warning and in the warning told him that if he did this again it would be an immediate termination. I have suspicion that he also has a drinking problem, but I am dealing ONLY with the attendance issue that I have. Our policy is like the others, no show, no call for 3 days and the ee is termed. If you go the alcohol issue, you will need to watch the ADA. Although, the ADA will not protect a CURRENT user, but those that are in rehabilitation. I agree with the others, if you talk to him about helping him through his disease, you are setting a precedent and anyone else that has this problem will need to follow the same path, regardless of the fact that s/he is a good worker. I say deal with attendance only unless he mentions the medical problem. Have a good day!
  • I would not delay. I would terminate him immediately! That is of course if you have a policy that states this and you enforce it for all. Even if you don't have a written policy, this is grounds for dismissal. Do not touch the alcholism part!