Training - Can we do this?

Becuase of a state regulation our employees need medication management training. The only available option for our employees to get this training is to take the CNA Class. The class goes more in depth then what our employees need but in order to get the medication management certificate they have to pass the course.

We currenly pay for the class, their time at the class and the fees to take the test. What is happening is employees are getting their certificates and leaving for better paying jobs.

Since a CNA's duties are much greater than our staff's duties we can not justify the higher wage but we were considering having them sign an agreement saying that once they complete the class if they leave for any reason within a year (excluding termination or laid off) they would have to pay back a portion of the class based on how long they stayed.

Of course getting the money back would be another issue but we are hoping that by signing they agreement they will stay.

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It seems odd that they would have to take the complete CNA course. Maybe you could call the agency that provides the training or a community college and inquire about inservice training on medication management.

At any rate, yes you can have them sign a 'pay back' agreement. I'm curious. What jobs are they doing that requires them to need the medication management training?
  • They work in a Residential Care Facility - serving those with Mental Illness. They are not providing the care that a CNA does, thus the lower wage.

The community college that provides the training will not train just the portion of the class that we need because we can not guarantee a number in any one class and employees must have it within 100 days of hire. It's impossible to have the employee sit in on just the medication portion becuase it is discussed throughout the course.

• That's messed up. Though I'm beginning to hate this phrase, let's "think outside the box." Suppose you had an RN develop a course from the material provided to a CNA. The RN could make it part of the orientation process and provide the certification.
  • That's what I was thinking too. In our area the community colleges have training funds available and they also locate the instructors and the classes are either at our site or the college. In any event, and I dislike that phrase, if it meets state regulations, I'd pursue the development of a class that offers no more than that which is required, of course with an instructor who meets state requirements too. Maybe a call to the state department that has oversight?
  • We operate similar facilities, but our own nursing staff conduct the Medication Administration course and test each employee, which is allowed under our state regs. Call your state MH/MR office and find out if the training can be done in-house.
  • The only comment I want to make is that even if you institute the payback provision, you haven't dealt with the real reasons that employees are leaving. So, I'm not sure which is better:
    * high turnover or
    * lower turnover but disgruntled employees

It could simply be the nature of the type of work these employees do that no matter how you try to incent or disincent them, they will still leave after a relatively short period of time. I don't have any particular suggestions to help because I'm not familiar with your line of business, but thought I'd throw my comment in to the discussion fwiw.
  • We know why they are leaving. They now have their CNA License and can get a much higher wage working for a nursing home.

Our employees are doing far less work then a CNA so we can't justify the higher wages. They stay until they get the licesne and then leave for the money.

I am going to call the state about other options for the training. We don't have nurses on staff but maybe would could contract one to provide the training if they will let us.

• Yikes! Sorry to hear this. Sounds like you have a tough situation without being able to have a customized program. Good luck with working with the state - hope you're able to resolve it.