Left last job due to "legal troubles"?

We are looking for a high level Software Support Tech, and in a phone interview with a current applicant, when asked why he left his last job, (14 years with a city gov't) he said after a long pause:
"How do I want to phrase this? I had legal troubles and was unable to perform my duties."

The IT Dept wants to delve deeper and they did not know what they could and could not ask, so they came to me. He was perfect for the job in all other aspects and we want to bring him in for an in-person interview. I told them it could have been any number of things that do not necessarily mean he was a bad employee, or risk to our company. We would no doubt do a bacground check on him if we decide he is the best person for the job, but what can we ask him about this?

I would have thought if it was anything personal that would not effect his employment he would have said a bit more than that.

So I am trying to balance what I think of his statement. First reaction is run, but in his defence it could have been something not so bad.

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • He brought it up, you can ask what it means. find out first, it may not have anything to do with him. Even if it does, it doesn't mean that it would impact his next job.
  • Sounds like he did not show up for work as he ws "detained". I would still bring him in, and there is no reason you cannot ask more questions to find out all the facts.
    My $0.02 worth,
    The Balloonman
  • Ask him. Point blank. Example:

Him-"How do I want to phrase this? I had legal troubles and was unable to perform my duties."

You-"How so?" or "Please tell me more".

Go with the flow on this one. Keep asking leading and probing questions. It apperas to me that he's opening the door for you, now you have to get your foot in there and slowly work your way in.

Gene

• >that he's opening the door for you, now you have
    >to get your foot in there and slowly work your
    >way in.
    >
    Gene - This sounds like the old door to door salesman tactic. Do you have that on your resume?

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-10-05 AT 04:44PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Well, sort of. I sold stuff for our Boy Scout troop during our fundraisers :)

Then there was the middle school band fundraiser scandal where we actually collected money ahead of time for meat and cheese (Hickory Farms) packs. Unfortunately for the people that ordered and for my behind after my parents got done, I took all the money and went to Kmart and bought enough fishing tackle to outfit the entire B.A.S.S. tournament circuit. No one ever got their meat and cheese but I sure mowed enough yards that summer. My first and last attempt at racketeering.

Gene

P.S. For the anglers in the Forum, I stil have the Shimano Baitcaster and Shakespeare Ugly Stick in the garage as a reminder of that painful experience.
  • Gene: I have noticed, since I have nothing else to do, sitting here in pain and agony, that as the the day winds on, and the hour gets late, your posts pick up pace and get rather raucous and often curious, and frequently make me wonder exactly how far you are from the watering hole, if you are not there already. Just a casual observation having no other relevance.
  • I refer to it as the "6:00 o'clock sillies". First shift has wrapped it up, 2nd shift is on, the plant is winding into night mode and I am blowing off steam, clearing my desk and calling it a day.

• A seasoned professional interviewer would have seized that one like a fat frog zapping a tick off the crust of a dog turd. How could you not simply have asked the obvious followup question: "Tell me more about that." Or, if he hesitates, "In order for you to be considered for this position, I need for you to explain what you mean by that." If he hesitates further, put him in the 'history' file.

People in contention for IT jobs, mentioning the word 'legal' or 'trouble in my last job' really never, ever deserve further exploration to begin with.
  • The other option...if you don't want to ask him directly, or just want to verify his story, is to ask your attorney to seach the legal filings in the area where he worked.

Most lawsuits are public material and can be accessed by anyone, you don't need special permission from the applicant to look at public records...

I hope this helps.
  • We will see if he ends up as one of the top candidates, and if so he will have to explain quite a bit further and we would have an background check done.

I'm trying not to make a judgement on him, but I think I said, if it was personal or not something that was a real problem I would have thought he would elaborate a bit on his own so he could be considered.
  • I was not in on the interview, and I would have asked a question like that, but the initial phone interview is done by IT people who are accessing true skills for the position, and no, they are not skilled interviewers. I will be in on the next one, if we decide he is one of the top candidates after the round of phone interviews.
    I do admit, my first inclination is to just sort him to the history file.
  • Personally, I would have thanked the IT people for their discretion. Better to be too cautious than to say something your pocketbook could regret.

Next time, they will know (and now we know!) that they can ask for a follow up. If he started to get into too much detail that seems irrelevant (even if it is juicy), I would wedge my way in and ask "would this have any effect on your ability to perform this job as you understand it?" and base my findings from that.

As for sending him to the history file, if your IT people send him to the next round, try to keep an open mind but do go with your gut. That's the best tool I have somedays. (Ex. the guy who stands waaaay too close to me when dropping off his application or checking up on it will not get an interview. I'm talking CLOSE, not just on the fringes of my personal space.)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-11-05 AT 12:04PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Let's see if I can understand. You would divert the conversation of the first guy from his explanation and ask him the standard "Can you perform...." question. But, with the guy makes you uncomfortable by standing too close to you, you would reject him out of hand without even reviewing his application? I'm not sure if what we have here is an unacceptable personal habit on the part of an applicant or an interviewer's personal phobia or pattern of prejudice.

But, back to the candidate who mentions his legal complications; there is nothing in any realm of legality that would prohibit an interviewer from asking whatever they like about that and taking the conversation in any direction the interviewer would like for it to go, even if it seemed momentarily irrelevant (this might not hold true in CA.) A trained interviewer knows to gather all the information possible, not necessarily trying to contemporaneously sort ultimately relevant from irrelevant and not judging it at the point at which it is given. You give me an applicant who opens a door like this and I'll walk away from the interview with his blood type, how many times he was paddled in grade school and whether he felt it was alright to abscond with the company's stationery supplies.

And if someone in the IT department told me he had made the comment in their telephone interview, I would be on the phone with him saying, "John, I want to followup on your remark to Ellen about your earlier legal complications and its relationship to your job at Stellar Products."
  • Yup. Guy in original post is "perfect" in other regards. My "shadow" has some work history issues that, when combined with my gut feel which is not based on anything discriminatory, leads me to believe he would not be a good fit for our organization.

My point was that we make contact with people every day. From those contacts, we can draw some generalizations to help us make decisions. The generalizations will not always be right, but we should draw on our experience (gut feel) when needed.

And by the way, I would divert the conversation of the first guy from his explanation ONLY (and I quote) "If he started to get into too much detail that seems irrelevant". If he said "I made a bad decision and was thrown in the clink. I have since learned from my mistake and have not had any further legal trouble since." then there'd be no more questions or diversions.

If it was simply not applicable to the job and didn't raise serious red flags on his moral character (which I think does affect his job - refer to your comment on absconding with the company's stationery supplies), I would do my best to consider him the same as I would without ever having known that information.
  • You mean you wouldn't ask him what the heck he did to land in jail? You think that's irrelevant???? So there's no difference between landing in jail for rape and landing in jail for protesting Apartheid back in 1977?
  • He lost his LAST job because of "legal jobs". There is nothing irrelevant about finding out what happened and I wouldn't care if he was sorry, fully recognized the error of his ways or whatever excuse. There is no way to judge if something is irrelevant or not if you don't know what the something is.
  • All good points - you, too, Marc. I wasn't about to put an example down, but let's say this: he says he was thrown in the clink for (insert crime here), and I was satisfied that (insert crime here) was simply not applicable to the job and didn't raise serious red flags, I would still do my best to consider him the same as I would without ever having known that information.

I didn't mean to imply that what (insert crime here) is isn't important. It is.
  • "I had legal troubles and was unable to perform my duties."

My imagination is just too vivid sometimes. Combine that with my cynicism and the real trouble starts.

I will, however, keep this tame. Legal troubles for an IT person? "Hmmmm" he says, "- well I was raiding the customer data base for demographic information, including social security numbers, and I got caught. They had a hard time proving it was me, but they locked me out of my PC and changed the locks so I could no longer do my work. I took that as a hint and here I am applying for work."

or,

"I was on an internet chat site talking to a 13 year old girl and agreed to meet her in the park across the street. When I showed up, I was arrested by the cop that was posing as the 13 year old. That started my legal trouble. When the company found out, they fired me. I can work as long as I don't get convicted"

Ok, maybe those are farfetched examples, point is, the company does need to know before hiring.
  • Exactly. If I were a dubious character, I would love to have an interviewer like that; one who would listen to my chortling and dismiss my sins according to the picture I painted of them.

The scenario painted by HRCalico is this: If I'm an applicant with a sordid past, I brush past it by saying something like, "Yes, I had a brush with the law, but it was totally unrelated to my job and never affected my work ethic. In fact, the next year at the fish fry I was awarded the charming employee of the month for the third quarter." So, the observant and attentive interviewer says, "Oh, let's not get into that, can you tell me whether you can perform the essential functions of this position, with or without accommodation?"

I have been in this business too long to not seize the opportunity to wrestle all of the pertinent facts from candidates during an interview. Even those that are later determined to have been a total waste of my time.

Talk about 'GUT'! Give me an applicant who mentions brushes with the law or legal complications and my 'GUT' churns like four month old milk!
  • Don, I still think you're misunderstanding my post, but after more closely reading yours, I think we're along the same lines. I may not be as aggressive as you, however. I suppose that's something that I will form with time and experience.

Feel free to keep dissecting every word I wrote down, though, and read between lines that aren't there. x;-) As for me, I'm getting the weekend started.