How far should your policies go?

Please excuse me for continuing to ask some of the most basic questions. I'm really trying to learn all I can and absorb as much as possible from you all.

So here is my next question... Our policy manual regarding employee benefits (particularly medical insurance, life insurance, aflac, etc) state "See the XXX Plan Summary Description and Plan Information Summary for details regarding eligibility and enrollment"

Then within the Summary Descriptiosn and Plan Info Summary we state again who is eligible (FT EE's) but go into details about open enrollment, etc.

My problem is an employee wants to add a policy before the open enrollment period. She is one that studies the policies and came and said but the policy doesn't say that I can't do this.

We showed her the summary description and she went away upset but understanding.

Which brings me to the question... would you recommend adding this to each of the policies or leave them out?

Thanks a million (again)
Nietra

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The more in depth and detailed you are in your policy writing the more limited one can be in managing the business. The policy say when you can enroll, it is not logical to try and list all of the different circumstances when you cannot enroll.
    I just remember the nightmares from a former employer when instead of managing problems, they made policies, which then applied to everyone. Caused more problems then it solved.
    My $0.02 worth,
    THe Balloonman
  • The detail appearing in policies is very much a style issue and that varies depending on the organization. Some have lots of detail because the detail, theoretically anyway, reduces questions. Some are very basic because they are intended to be guidelines and allow interpretation. The most important information should be included though, and in the case of benefits, eligibility information will appear in most policies that I have seen.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-07-05 AT 02:33PM (CST)[/font][br][br]You probably have an insurance broker who helped the company set up the policy or a third party administrator that handles claims and enrollments. Either of them can field your question with authority. Call them and ask them to provide the appropriate reference from your plan. That should answer the employee's questions. We're all overwhelmed at times by all the 'experts' out there among our employees who seem to know everything about everything.