HR Metrics

I am looking for some meaningful HR metrics, other than the usual absenteeism and turnover. Does anyone have some that are particularly valuable to the whole organization??? Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 37 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You're talking about metrics by which HR can be measured? How would absenteeism be one?
  • At the last several Midwest Worksite Health Promotion Conferences I've attended, I've learned that there are companies that use the absenteeism metric as one of the measures of the success of their health and wellness programs. It requires somewhat of a history and detail of absenteeism figures to make any correlation meaningful, but it is being done.

Our program is in the infant stage and doesn't have near the data to even use yet. We are, however, focusing on weight loss vs. claims history the best we can with HIPAA and all. Got a pretty good weight loss program going with alot of people on the Larry Diet. Even then we will need some history underneath it to make it worthwhile and relavent.

Did you know that, on average, a loss of 1 BMI equals a 2 to 3% reduction in your yearly individual health care expense? Makes you want to drop your Twinkies, doesn't it?
  • All that's well and good and to be commended; however, the success or participation rate of employees should not be an HR Metric against which my performance/success is measured. I currently have a pretty good safety and ergonomics program going and workers comp incidents flow into my metrics, thus my rating. But, there's not a damned thing I can do about 25 and 30 year employees having carpal tunnel, rotator cuff or lumbar surgeries. There's at least one state that will not let carpal tunnel be reported as work comp. They should all be like that. People are born with the syndrome.
  • That's got my vote. Had two cases of bilat CT last year and one case of single CT and there went my safety rating. Not a damn thing I can do to prevent this.
  • Darn, I missed all of the fun, guess I should start working full time so that I would have more time on the forum!

Don, what do you mean by people being born with the symdrome? A predispostion or gene for CT? I never knew that. Interesting.
  • clevahn: With only 16 post, and I have not welcomed you to the forum, so welcome! How about employee complaints....W/C cases handled within the 5 day limit....unemployment cases handled without a loss or award of UNemployment....EEOC cases started and lost and won....pay complaints on errors in the processing of employee pay checks....turnover for the entire company and by department....days taken to search, interview , and place a new employee....How big is the HR bonus award at the end of the year? This last one suggested is because it is the one that tells me personally that my work even though subjective at times is good solid work on behalf of the company.

Getting HR in front of the owners and senior leaders with positive results helps them to understand how good we are or how negative we are or how "just part of the organization" we are or are not. I have been given the largest subjective bonus award as a single sum than any other manager in our company. A simple thing like cheering and demonstrating a positive attitude, when we receive back an employment security notice that someone we terminated was not awarded worker's compensation; reporting back to the CEO/GM when we have attended and presented a worker's comp case without the assistance of an attorney, especially when you are faced on the otherside the x-employee's attorney; and finally, when one receives back the win after appealing an unemployment claim that was previously lost. The ceo/GM understands $ollars and cents and an attorney is $175.00 per hour that the company used to pay, before I arrived. Now they pay me for the legal savings experience.

Good luck, I hope this helps, I agree with Don, absent and tardy is not one of those areas for which I care a hoot about, that is a performance concern for all managers. Your only ability to influence this area is through having a sound policy in place and then assisting the managers/supervisors to use the tools provided by the HR.

PORK
  • Pork1,

"The ceo/GM understands $ollars and cents and an attorney is $175.00 per hour that the company used to pay, before I arrived. Now they pay me for the legal savings experience."

I am curious about this conclusion. Is the cost of your salary and associated overhead to the company less than what the company formerly paid counsel? I'm doing the same analysis now and need to justify use or non-use of counsel. Also, what functions did you replace that counsel formerly provided? Just day-to-day HR stuff or handling some of the things normally farmed out to counsel, i.e., eeoc responses, policy drafting, termination notices, etc.? Thanks.
  • Be careful, you get what you pay for wlljr! Our attorney's paralegal bills at $150, so a $175/hr one does not impress me. Also, I'm moving to MS if HR Managers are banking as much cake as Pork implies he gets.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-25-05 AT 11:12AM (CST) by Christy Reeder (admin)[/font][br][br]My company has just about shut off the retained attorney's stop watch in HR matters. The first case for an unemployment hearing upon my arrival on the scene was handled by our attorney at $175.00 an hour, he lost the case. That was five years ago and I have not lost one yet! It could happen, but we now have much better documentation than our attorney had then. Our managers are controlled to make sure their actions fit the crimes and the documentation supports the action.

Employee relations is much improved and we have only been faced with an EEOC case 2 times in 6 years. We won both of those again based on documentation and the facts supported by same.

I wrote the Employee handbook and published it with only minimum attorney review.

I take on all of the Unemployment cases and have won all of them and there have been many.

I do all of the company required vehicle accident investigations. One does not win these, one minimizes the risk loss with quality and professional representation or accomplishes the investigation sufficiently to recover company losses.

I do all of the filing of charges for the company and represent the company in court for property damages and etc.

Now, understand, my salary is not computed based on $175.00 per hour worked and if it were then HR TN might have a point. I make sure the owners and the GM, my immediate boss, are aware of the time spent and the positive results of my work. I make sure that the work ethic demonstrated by quick professional action on any issue thrown my way is completed to the best of my ability. I make sure that ever HR positive event is broadcast from the highest hills and the largest banners. I attempt to minimize negative actions, but never never cover them up. Bad news is always carried into the boss with a recommended positive course of action.

When the owners of a multi-million $ollar operation tell you, they want you to stay and die in the HR seat; and the General Manager seeks my advise on how to get other managers on his team to cover their areas of responsibility with a operational blanket the way I have done and will continue to do, it will let you know you are there and the top subjective bonus award will or should come your way.

• WJLLJR: The answer to you is yes, however, since we were not previously trying to defend terminations our rating was high. After looking in the files for documentation required to defend terminations, I could see why we did not defend our actions. The payroll clerk, who was a data processing person for the "pig data" and also did payroll, she convienced the GM that she could also handle the HR duty and she was given the job. It was from her in action and lack of time that the attorney was called upon to handle all sorts of legal issues. It was a matter of charging our the cost to a department. I could have continued to use the attorney, but once I realized his cost and the lack of quality time spent on our cases due to his over loaded busy work in his firm, it was easy to take over. I just squeezed him out, his charge outs for HR legal work was minimized and finally disappeared.

Our owner has a strong position of "SETTLEMENT IS A NON-STARTER". Since corporate law is feed off of the time spent on legal actions, it is very obvious that this HR was set for legal work. SETTLEMENT is the first thoughts of most corporate attorneys, earning a living in court is not what the marjority of our experiences has been. SETTLEMENT AGREEMENTS take a lot of time jocking the details for satisfaction of the requirement to settle. Their e-mails even have computer times in seconds, so also is the telephone and personal visits timed. Cut out their involvement as a direct result of your HR actions will give you a good comparsion.

Go to your accounting department and review the vendor files established for the law firm, go back three years and pull up the HR cost spent by the company for your HR legal actions, include the cost of settlements. Each document will breakdown the legal cost per hour down to 1/4 hour increments. This historical cost is what you want to compare your time and savings against.

Good luck, it works for me and I hope you can also benefit from showing the real value of an HR Team.

PORK
  • Thanks for the response. I found it interesting although, I am still not convinced that HR completely replaces legal. The company has been burned (six figures scorched) in the past by relying on HR when legal needed to be called in.
    As a follow-up, approximately how many ees does your company have?

BTW- Are you an attorney turned HR? Some of your comments are suggestive of this possibility.

• 211 employes located in 15 seperate work sites.

No, I am not an attorney, but having been in and around the legal issues for my entire work history, including the military, where I have been appointed as trial counsel, defense counsel, and jury, and judge rendering military penalty, my words do have a flavor of legalize.

I do not completely shut out the retained attorney, I have much reduced his weekly involvement. With W/C and the issue to controvert that is turned over to the attorney, but only after I have the case read for his ease of filing and dealing with the x-employees attorney. I simply am not recognized by the legal world as capable of handling these actions. When he wants something I get it for him, thus his clock is not ticking.

I encourage all of you to do as much as you can in the legal aspects of HR to save your company money through good documentation and preperation of the case to prevent the attorney from having to start a "A" in order to get to "Z". If you bring the attorney in at "X" and the attorney can close the case from there then you have saved your company a pile of money in saved time and thus expense.
  • What do you consider "Just day-to-day HR stuff"? In reading this post it appears you put little weight in the value of Human Resources. In my job, most day-to-day HR stuff involves keeping the company out of the legal system thus limiting the need to retain counsel. That is why we in HR are considered Professionals. We keep the supervisors, department heads etc. in line and help in the decision making process which in turn allows a company or business unit to follow the law. Any good HR department would seek legal counsel if the need arose and the budget allow for it. HR does not replace counsel but helps in limiting the need for counsel, PERIOD! What makes you think that HR can’t draft policy, answer EEOC, termination notices, etc.? Again it appears you put little value in HR.
  • Ditto, Safety. Attorneys are nothing but business advisors, should be viewed as such and utilized when needed. Most of the time they are not needed, including when drafting policies, EEOC responses etc. I have responded to dozens of EEOC and various state agencies over the years and the first time that I utilized an attorney was recently, when politics dictated doing so.

In my firm opinion, HR professionals have devalued the profession by allowing attorneys to, in effect, run Human Resources at too many organizations. We shouldn't be in bed with anyone to get our job done.

• Interesting that two of my posts have disappeared from this thread but those of the imposter remain. All I did was expose him. What you should do is send him one of your scolding emails and remove his posts, not mine. Mine were accurate. HR professionals don't need or appreciate the company of those posing as one of us. Or do I misunderstand the mission of the Forum? An attorney pretending to not be one does none of us a favor.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-25-05 AT 12:47PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Well, hello Don. Relax, my friend. That person has as much right to post on Employers Forum as you do. The forum is not limited to HR professionals ... it's simply limited to subscribers of our HR newsletters, of which a percentage are attorneys or other professionals.

It's also the right of any member to remain anonymous if they wish. And because of that right, I removed your "exposé" because it contained personal information that the poster wished not to reveal.

The fact that you (or anyone else) could click on the IP address icon and track the person back to a company website was a mistake on our part. That feature has been disabled for years for the sake of forum members' privacy and should not have been accessible. It should be fixed now. If anyone finds that that option is working for them, please have a conscience and let us know so we can fix it.

Thanks,

Christy Reeder
    Associate Website Editor
    HRhero.com

• At the risk of opening old wounds, employees at M. Lee Smith have told us on numerous occasions that people who are other than what they profess to be, or who attempt to scam us, will be cautioned once and their posts will be removed if they don't edit them. That did not happen. Nobody challenged the attorney's right to belong. We all welcome his membership and wish more would participate.

What I resent is the fact that he first pretended to be an employer requesting information from HR managers saying that he was trying to get his company to see the wisdom of settling other than paying the "*^&%^*% lawyers"; and, asking us to provide him with the amounts of labor law settlements and the source of that information. Any attorney already has access to that. Then secondly he engaged a regular in a conversation asking questions about law, again obviously already having the answer, leaving me to infer he was posing again as an HR Manager. It does none of us any good in the profession when people come on here and scam us and pretend to be serious questioners and posters.

So, in that context, I disagree with you that he has the same rights as we do. But, since he's a dues payer, let him run with it. He'll have to change his screen name to be taken seriously, however.

• Ditto Gillian3 and Safety. Every lawyer I know, with one exception, thinks HR professionals need them to do relatively routine things like writing policies, drafting employment contracts, devising and implementing reductions in force, responding to charges, writing position papers, representing the company in various hearings, negotiating the FMLA/ADA/Comp triangle and defending terminations and other personnel actions.

We all needed that assistance at one time and sometimes still do. But if the guy who referred to his own vocation as "the "*^&%^*% lawyers" is on a crusade to devalue our profession by having us feel inadequate to do those types of things, several of us will accept his challenge.

I know lawyers whom I would actually buy a drink. Then I know lawyers whom I wouldn't trust to return my ballpoint.
  • But why was MY post deleted? All I said was that Pork was anti-Beef, which seems pretty self-evident when you think about it. Sheesh.
  • YEAH why are you CENSORING Crout, that had to be the funniest posting I have seen in ages. I laughed my butt off this morning when I read it!!!

My $0.02 worth,
    The Balloonman
  • It was because you have German roots and we all know about German roots and pork and beef and catfish and such. Something about saeur kraute and pork. Wait, that's weiners. Gluckstadt is 4 miles noorth of here and we have the annual German festival there every year. And we have diversity in the weiners (weenies). Some are pork and some are beef. I'm pushing for catfish weenies next year. In fact I'm demanding them. If Pork attends, we're having pork weenies. If TN HR attends, we're having catfish tacos. If Gillian3 attends, we're having quiche and wine with Elton John on keyboard. If Ray comes he is assigned to PortaPottie patrol.
  • Actually, I have had catfish tacos. Not really tacos per se but catfish filets wrapped in tortillas.

How about catfish scampi?
  • Hey what is with the censorship..........that was a damn funny post by Crout, you need to lighten up Christy........
    Crout you had me laughing my a$$ off......

My $0.02 worth,
    The Balloonman
  • Crout's comment was funny, but after cleaning up a conversation between two other members that at best should have been held outside the forum, it lots its context.

I'm generally not into censoring, but today I was the designated pooper-scooper, and there was some poop that needed scooping. Sorry Crout's comment got scrapped in the process.

• Ah, jeez that's okay, I understand. No harm done...'cept my bruised ego, which I'm sure can be cleaned up with the right therapy.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-25-05 AT 03:17PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I haven't met your attorney exception, but would have a drink with that one.

We delude ourselves if we think that attorneys respect what we do - they respect the law, that's it, and the money they get by practicing the law. In my opinion, the life of a labor attorney is a contradiction, if not an outright conflict of interest. Think about it, they are intimately involved in the dealings with employees (because so many of us have let them)so they know all there is to know about the circumstances, then, when it becomes a legal issue, defend what the company did (against their advice)as the proper thing to do, all the while trying to turn the employee into the bad guy. This has been a pattern over the years, including reading depositions when I am an expert witness. I guess that is doing their job on behalf of the employer - they can have it.

O, yes - our work is "junk science". The testimony of an expert (not me) was referred to that way in a recent California Newsletter. When someone like me testifies as to proper HR practice when we are on the employer side, it's all well and good, but when we are on the plaintiff side it is junk science. A high point recently was reading about a case in which I was involved as the plaintiff's expert, in the Ca. Newsletter. The company won at the first stage, but lost on appeal. The appelate court seemed to have quoted from my deposition when they gave their reasons for overturning the trial court. That's their "junk science". Oh, in the write up - not a word about my (the HR professional's) role in testifying as to proper HR practice.

• I simply cannot let Christy's comment go unchallenged. She calls it pooper scooper. The poop was laid out like a long turd by an attorney who she says is a subscriber. He scammed us all. He pretended to be an HR Professional on several occasions over several months. He lied. He was a scammer. He was caught. He was revealed. She cleaned it up for him and protected him and deleted anything that shined a light on him. He pays M. Lee Smith just like the rest of us. Perhaps attorneys have a special bit of dispensation and protection from the Forum Gestapo. Again, the man pretended to be something he was not. He pretended to be an HR professional on two occasions, rather than admitting to his true identity. Christy has disappointed me for sure.

If this site wants to exercise a true 'pooper scooper' it should be on the alert to admonish those who join in conversations pretending to be who they are not. There really ain't no way to defend the action of the Forum Police on this one. But, this will be deleted and there will be no need to defend it. I have no agenda other than to participate in an open exchange of questions and answers. I can't say the same for everybody else who posts.

It's about time for James to jump in here and defend the indefensible actions of Christy on this one. But, before you do, James, be sure you can tell us how an attorney subscriber, pretending to be an HR Manager, meets your earlier (often) published definition of those that will be allowed to participate unchallenged. I think you cannot do that. You should have admonished the man rather than protect him. Just own up to it and move on, lest this type of behavior be repeated. Regards and peace x:-)
  • Ummm, hello, just for clarification, when I made the "light-hearted" mention of being a pooper-scooper, I was not talking about the attorney situation. I was talking about a conversation between two OTHER forum members that became a ugly name-calling contest. Remember, the one that had to do with the joke about Pork being prejudice of beef?

Anyway, as you say, Don ... peace.
  • I have been in a software training class all week and missed the hijinks.

The FORUM is owned, business rules are set and we either abide by them or take our comments and our money somewhere else.

That said, the veracity of the forum is largely dependent on the ethics of it's members. The mechanics are owned by M. L. Smith, but the quality of the content is directly attributable to the membership.

I did not get to read the deleted comments, but it appears to me that the misrepresentation goes beyond the need for anonymity. Ethics are largely personal - one can judge what another holds high by observed actions. I won't judge any profession or discipline by the standards set by one individual - so this is not a rock thrown at attorneys - but it is a rock thrown at the apparent trickery utilized.

Some consequence to that individual is justified.
  • I have been in a software training class all week and missed the hijinks.

The FORUM is owned, business rules are set and we either abide by them or take our comments and our money somewhere else.

That said, the veracity of the forum is largely dependent on the ethics of it's members. The mechanics are owned by M. L. Smith, but the quality of the content is directly attributable to the membership.

I did not get to read the deleted comments, but it appears to me that the misrepresentation goes beyond the need for anonymity. Ethics are largely personal - one can judge what another holds high by observed actions. I won't judge any profession or discipline by the standards set by one individual - so this is not a rock thrown at attorneys - but it is a rock thrown at the apparent trickery utilized.

Some consequence to that individual is justified.