Layoff Reactions?

So yesterday was somewhat of a surreal day as we completed our first rounds of layoffs. We are a small non-profit and thus do not fall under WARN but we did let our employees know a few weeks ago that hours would be cut.

We met with each employee individually to let them know their status (some went from full to part time and others were totally laid off). We had been expecting a wide range of emotions, helping people figure out their benefits and unemployment compensation but we sure didn't get what we expected.

The first guy was trying so hard to control his laughter and on the way out said "well I guess I can't say thank you but I will..."

The rest of the day was mixed between "no hard feelings" and "oh, ok". They just didn't care they were losing their jobs. Only one person plead for additional hours.

Is this typical?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It can be typical for an employer who has shown by its actions throughout the years as an uncaring one. I worked for a large mfg company that was bought out by Tyco and went through almost weekly layoffs. Employees tended to be mostly relieved to be gone. The grief and emotions were displayed more by the "survivors".
  • Gosh, I hope our employees don't think of us as uncaring. I think we have very employee friendly policies and a generous benefit package that we are always trying to add into.

That said, the one program that received the layoffs is one that works with persons with mental illness and also has the highest turnover. Referrals for this program have been down and thus the layoffs. So maybe they were ready for a break?

Maybe I am being delusional and need to be referred to the program?
  • Yes, sounds like the employees working on that program needed a break but were unwilling to sever the relationship on their. On the bright side, at least they are apparently looking at their layoffs as an opportunity to move on to something new and different.

• Nietra, I don't know what to say about the laughing, have never seen that. The rest is in the range of expected responses, although it is curious that you didn't have anyone who was shocked that they were the ones being let go. If you're looking for another spin besides the worst (people can't wait to get out of there), maybe your gang has seen the handwriting on the wall for awhile, is relieved to finally hear, and as the other poster said are either poised for the next opportunity or looking forward to collecting unemployment.
    I've had people apologize for putting ME through the exercise, which was really surprising the first time I heard it and made me want to weep.
  • Nietra: I have said many times on The Forum that it is always impossible to accurately predict the reaction and behavior of a person being RIFfed. Having done this for many years and going through RIFs ranging from 5 to 55, I know that the one you think will go ballistic will hug your neck and the one you think will shrink and cry will sling an ashtray across the room and cuss you out. All you can do is go through the motions professionally, as planned and move on. And a drink of straight Wild Turkey at the end of the evening will always help.