how many have you hired?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-10-05 AT 07:07AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Not sure where to post this so since this area gets the most traffic, I'll ask here. This question is being posed to those of you in the manufacturing industry. We are curious to know, on a yearly basis, approximately how many production people you hire.

So far this year, our company has brought in approximately 33 agency temporary workers, and hired 10 full-time production workers with maybe seven more positions to be filled within the next couple of months.

I'm curious as to what other manufacturing facilities are doing as far as the number of people being hired. I've seen this happen in the past where we hired lots of people and then have to lay them off a few months down the road. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Let me add that we have 123 hourly production workers and 68 salaried employees in our workforce.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Our manufacturing plant has about 35 employees. Our full-time temps are brought in for 3 months before we hire them. Last quarter of 2004 we brought in 8 temps and hired 2. So far this year we've brought in 3 temps. Sounds like your ration is about the same as ours.
  • We have very little turnover. Hiring replacements for those who retire and the minimal number who leave for other reasons, we might average 8 per year. Right now we have 53 temps and have just begun the process to put an additional 25-30 of those on our payroll. We don't anticipate having to lay any off after this wave of new hiring.

The unemployment rate in this county is just over 2 percent. I'm constantly amazed at the quality of the temps we attract even with such a low unemployment rate.
  • Since the beginning of this year we have hired approx. 10 new ees basically due to terms, quits and production needs. We have a very low turn over rate and rarely utilize the temp agency.

We currently have 125 ees which pretty much stays between 110 and 125 throughout the year. Minimal lay offs if any.
  • As Don said, our turnover was slightly under 10% last year but we have been in a growth mode. Hired 28 clerical and 12 manufacturing EEs last year. Currently have approx. 110 clerical and 200 manufacturing EE's. 26 manufacturing and 9 clerical staffing employees currently on assignment with possible temp-to-hire if they "prove" theirself.
  • We have 53 in direct production, six in quality, five in the office, five in production support, nine in engineering.

I started one year ago December, as about employee #57. We now have 78, so I've hired 21 that have stayed. I've probably hired another 15-20 that quit, including three temps that didn't work out. We've had split luck there - we hired on two and lost three. Not bad for a batting average, not good for a retention rate (that is worthless anyway, right Don?).

Confidential to LarryC: Just a few short weeks 'till spring training starts!!! :>)