walk-in applicants

Do any of you refuse to take walk-in applications from people looking for employment? Ours ads say "submit resume to..." but we still get people walking in off the street to fill out applications. I would like to eliminate this as we don't get any good, qualified applicants from this pool and I need some ammunition to take my suggestion to my boss.

Because we have to have an affirmative action plan we are required to track every person who fills out an application and this opens us up to a possible discrimination claim. Your responses are appreciated.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have an AAP. When we have walk-ins we tell them that our Employment Security Commission takes our apps only when we have openings available. I will then tell them whether we have job openings available or not at the current moment.
  • We, too, have a policy wherein we only accept applications for postitions that are currently open.
  • Our corporate office in downtown chicago doesnt accept walk in applicants. They require all individuals to submit a resume and after review of the resume if there is interest, a recruiter calls them to come in for an interview. The application is completed at that time.
  • We only accept resumes when there is a position open. We do not allow walk in applicants to just fill out an application.
  • Your post is not exactly clear to me. If you are advertising for resumes, do you then also take walk-in applications? We are a government contractor as well. We only accept applications when we are activily recruiting for an open position. At that time we will accept resumes as well as walk in traffic, but only at those times. I do not think you are abiding by the OFCCP regulations and intent if you do reject the walk in applicant at times when you have advertised an opening. If you are accepting mailed resumes, I would think OFCCP would expect you to accept a walk in for the position, unless you send them all to employment security.
  • I cannot afford to refuse walk-ins. I typically accept them, and file them in a folder marked "unsolicited" (by job title) that I feel they are most qualified for. Then, when I have an opening in that dept, I pull that file and take a look at what I have.

Incidentally, I am just looking at an AAP, so I don't know how that fits in. We zoomed by 50 EEs last year, so I'm stuck with starting from the ground up. Everything I've found on here says to OUTSOURCE which isn't an option. Wish me luck. (Sorry, I didn't intend to hijack this into an AAP post!)
  • IF you keep a file folder of unsolicited resumes and use that as a base from which to pull and consider people for future openings, then you are obligated, under Executive Order 11246, by your practice and procedure, to accept and report such resumes and consider them later for employment with your firm. And, you have forever lost the argument that you do not accept, retain and consider all resumes sent to the company, unless you are accepting resumes for currently advertised positions. I have known of companies which have seriously failed OFCCP investigations because of the fact that the personnel manager kept a file folder of unsolicited resumes for later consideration, while claiming all along that the company rejected unsolicited resumes.
  • As noted, I'm just getting started on this AA business (be gentle!). For the past year, my own practice has been to accept AND consider them - I really DO consider them. I have briefly floundered about a few web sites without finding any real concrete info on what I need to do. Care to point me in a direction? ;;) I don't have the reporting down yet on applicants (heaven help me) but I did manage to report on employees (EEO-1, I think).

For companies who receive an unbearable amount of applicants, I can see how this would be a problem. But when I get perhaps five unsolicited apps per month, it's not a big deal. (Unless I figure out the gov't says otherwise) I've also received so few apps in response to an ad so as to count them on one hand, so I do rely on the unsolicited sometimes.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-06-04 AT 10:51PM (CST)[/font][br][br]You will not find practical OFCCP guidance on 'a website'. the Federal Law text regarding OFCCP and Executive Order Number 11246 is available from your DOL regional office, OFCCP division, and it's mighty boring reading, not at all helpful as daily practice guidance. And, as to 'being gentle', that only applies in intial sexual experiences and taking children to playgrounds. x:-)
  • Mercy me, Don, I didn't think southern gents talked of such subjects in mixed company! x0:)
  • Southern gentlemen are known for taking their children to area playgrounds and being gentle, on occasion. (I didn't realize the company was mixed).
  • Yes, we only accept applications through our on-line process and give a notice to "walk-ins" that state that.