insurance shopping

What do you think of someone who is looking for a new job just to get better insurance coverage? We have extended an offer to an applicant who told us that a family member of his has a serious health condition. His current employer's insurance does not cover enough of the expenses, hospitalization, prescriptions, etc., so he is looking for an employer with better coverage. Our coverage is better than the one he has now. The hourly wage we are offering is the same as his current wage. All I can see are our insurance rates zooming skyward upon renewal next year. I know I shouldn't feel this way but I think what this person is doing is wrong. Thank you, I feel better now for being able to tell someone about this.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There's no guarantee when you hire anyone that they are going to stay forever. I have mixed feelings about this... He is looking out for his family so you can't blame him for that - but on the other hand if he accepts your offer will he continue to look for the "perfect insurance plan" with another company.

Since you extended an offer - I guess now it's just going to be a waiting game on how long he stays if he accepts...

I hope you have a GREAT day! Good luck!

Shelley
  • _ _it happens. Not to bother you too much, but we had an employee do this about two years ago. In the first year her spouse cost our plan just over a quarter million. Thank heaven for HIPAA and coverage portability, no pre-ex, etc. : (
  • We hired a guy two months ago. Yesterday his wife told me that she was thrilled he was with our company because they had been looking for a company with insurance that would cover her upcoming very expensive operation. This was strictly gratuitous information, somthing I didn't want or need to hear. It's a gamble sometimes, and you have to take the bad with the good.
  • >_ _it happens. Not to bother you too much, but
    >we had an employee do this about two years ago.
    >In the first year her spouse cost our plan just
    >over a quarter million. Thank heaven for HIPAA
    >and coverage portability, no pre-ex, etc. : (

Yes, it really messes up your loss ratio. Amazing how the legislators think it's helping everyone passing these laws, but ends up costing everyone in hurrendous rate increases.

At least the guy in the OP was honest. I have seen employees get hired just because they have a need for an expensive surgery/procedure, and then quit when they have it taken care of. Lawmakers either just want to be elected/re-elected, or they are pitifully ignorant of the real world out here when they pass things like HIPAA and coverage mandates.
  • I think that if we always knew the real reasons or hidden agendas behind why someone is looking for a job, we might not ever hire anyone. I'm not sure why this guy saw fit to share this information rather than do what most applicants do, which is gloss over their self-interest motives with BS like "I'm looking for a better opportunity for professional growth where I can make a contribution."

If he's taking the job for the health benefits, he might stay put longer than the average ee. Meanwhile, focus on why you offered him the job, try to maximize whatever he brings to the table ability-wise, and let go of his personal information.
  • I don't see anything wrong with what the guy did. Who would not look out for their family? People look for things that make them more comfortable. Nobody changes jobs to change jobs. They change jobs to get themselves in a situation that will make them more comfortable; closer to home, more money, better insurance, easier commute, cleaner setting, perceived ego boost, the type of work, the stress level.......whatever. Better insurance is just a factor but is a real one.

I am surprised at Irene's reaction. If my wife's medical condition precludes my search for happiness in other job settings, something's wrong with that. HIPAA addresses it and makes it possible for people to change jobs.

I like Whirlwind's response.

On a given day, if an applicant told me what this one told you, I would opt in favor of protecting the plan and find a way to reject his candidacy. You hire people who will positively affect the company's bottom line. This one might cost you. I also know company owners who would fire an HR Manager for knowingly hiring this employee.
  • Here we go again Don. It's the owner who made the job offer even after knowing all the information. I mentioned something to him yesterday about it and the fact that we're 14% over our insurance projection for this year. I got a "deer-in-the-headlights" look like, "oh, I just screwed up." Then he nonchalantly said the offer was made and there isn't anything that can be done now. He's absolutely right.
  • The 'here we go again' part confuses me. But, you're for sure in the clear since you aren't the one who decided to jeopardize the plan. x:-)
  • The "here we go again" means that the owners always seem to do things to adversely impact our bottom line when it comes to insurance, unemployment awards, etc.
  • Oh, Yes! This is the same guy who falsified to the UI office why someone was no longer with the company. Boy, your management guys can't seem to get the gun out of the holster before pulling the trigger.
  • You remember and you're absolutely right on.