Residence Requirements

I have a friend that has taken a Human Resources Director position with a city and the City Manager have wavied his requirement for him to live in the city. But, the present City Manager is getting ready to retire and when the new City manager is hired can he or she require the Human Resources Director to move to the city.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If it were me taking the position and the city's codified requirement was that a person at this level must reside in the city, and someone had waved that requirement, I would want that waiver in writing. I would certainly want it in writing if I new the grantor of the waiver is about to retire.

But, to your question; who know's what a city could do? Think about this possibility: The 'city' later says that your friend was aware of the requirement and advised the prior manager that he/she would indeed move into the city limits within six months. Again, who knows what a city might do.........
  • waivers can always be "unwaived" but having a written waiver could be a benefit if the "unwaivering" is reviewed.
  • Best to get it in writing, but even that may not be ironclad. Your friend should look into both city ordinances and state law, either or both can be controlling. In general, at least in Wisconsin, even one City Council cannot commit another (later) Council to a particular course of action, so the promise will be 'worth the paper it's written on'.

That said, I exacted the same promise out of our City Administrator and City Attorney 23 years ago when I took this job, and, so far, it's worked out OK for me. : )