How to Develope a Solid HR Plan

I have 2 Administrative Assistants. Both of these employees are good thinkers and do their job well. However, neither is familiar with a good planning process.

I plan to give each of them several questions that will force them to think a bit more strategically. We will then meet and have a planning session based on their responses. For example I may ask (and this is only a sampling):

1. What have I been doing that I need to stop doing to make you jobs more effective?
2. What items in our plant do you think are a waste of time and either need revising or importing.
3. If you had the absolute final say, what would you do to improve the morale of our employees that would not be costing, but more intrinsic in nature.

Here's my question. Can you give me some additional questions that would be good ones to ask? I am going to give this to them a week in advance and then meet. We have 260 employees, are a manufacturing facility, union and run 24/7.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-18-04 AT 01:50PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I got everything but the purpose of your exercise. It seems to me you are doing it for the sake of doing it. Otherwise, what is the objective of your exercise?

Anyway, here are three questions you can always ask that will provide a meaningful analysis:

1) List three things you want me to keep doing.
    2) List three things you want me to stop doing.
    3) List three things you want me to start doing.

If you are truly interested in determining their ability to plan, as you say, ask them this: List, in five elements or less the things you would recommend we do to obtain our objectives. Each element must contain what it is you think we are currently doing wrong as well as a suggestion as to how it might be done better, to achieve higher results. And you must discuss how and why you think your plan will impact an objective of the business.

Another suggestion is that you work hard to make your questions 'not vague'. If I were one of them, I would consider your questions vague and would be a bit restless as to what it is you want.

Good luck and let us know how it works. x:-)