sensitivity training

I have a client that wants some one-on-one coaching for a manager who uses expressions like "gooks, "squaws", etc. I suggested that anyone in this day that uses those terms is likely to be in the "just doesn't get it - never will" category, but they claim he is a good leader(?!), and want to try to salvage him.

Does anyone have any suggestions for articles, quizzes, case studies, reading assignments, etc. that might be part of such "coaching"?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yikes! Our "10 Danger Zones" video series might be a good place to start. In the "Trainer's Guide"
    there are some quizzes and other interactive materials that complement the videos. You can check out this product on this website.

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC
  • Hi Denise. I see your from Minnetonka so I assume you are well familiar with the MN Department of Human Rights and how well they coordinate with the EEOC.

I've dealt with managers like that and it becomes very critical when they are in a position of leadership, such as in your case. I will assume that his "talk" is beyond the boorish stage and that your discrimination concerns are warranted.

The only reading I would offer this person are court case summaries showing what happens to companies when discrimination lawsuits arise. Assuming you have the support of his manager(s), I would lay it on the line to him that the company will not allow this kind of liability to exist. Tell him, "Either lose the talk, or lose the job. Your choice."
  • Get someone to call him in right away and have a conference. It shouldn't be all that hard to 'get.' Then follow up with formal training. I too, like the "Ten Danger Zones." Our leaders have taken the training plus a refresher. This series will make your job easier.

No, I get nothing for the promo. xflash

• Sam, I'm glad you liked the series! (Do verbal accolades count?)

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
    M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC