Employee looking for a job

I have a situation where I know one of our employees is looking for a new job. I would like to replace, then terminate ASAP. What would you do?

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ronda in CO: Welcome to the forum and the ability to get straight answers to your most perplexing concerns, with some humor but no less good information. I recommend you do not attempt to respond to every posting on your thread but wait for a smattering and then choose your options and act, accordingly to your best judgement.

Now, do not hire and then fire, for the fact that someone is looking for a better opportunity is not sufficient reason to terminate one's employee; however, if you are in an "AT WILL" state you may fire for some reason or no reason, one must simply be ready to justify and defend one's action when put to the test by unemployment or EEOC.

As HR, I assume you are in or the HR manager, you should not ever do the firing, unless the person is a member of your team. Otherwise, firing should be left to the actions of the concerned manager/supervisor.

Hope this helps, keep us posted and we will be watching this thread in its development. Again welcome aboard and may you have a Blessed day and week!

PORK
  • I'm with Pork. Unless there's a new problem with their performance or attitude, I'd wait and see what happens. They may test the market and decide that their job is a lot better than they thought.

And firing him/her would send a bad message to other employees -- that they should keep their job hunt secret and give you very short notice or else you'll fire them.

Welcome to the Forum, Ronda.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • One way that we've addressed this in the past is to cut to the chase with the associate. We offer to work with them in scheduling interviews outside the company if they agree to work with us on giving notice and working the remainder of the time so we can better cover their position.

In 50% of the cases, the associate ends up staying having found the grass isn't greener. In the other cases, it makes their life and ours easier as we don't worry about someone calling in sick when they have a job interview.
  • Way to go mbeam. An enlightened emplyer.

The other part of this "we-should-fire-him-now-because-he's-looking" approach is when companies want a notice of resignation 10 days or 2 weeks in advance and when an employee does give such notice, they immediately fire the employee. No wonder many companies get rotten names and their management is seen as punitive.

I agree with the others, especially with mbeam's compny's approach. And welcome aboard.

Humor on this board:

A little laugh...A little dance...
    A little seltzer down your pants.
  • We currently have someone looking for a job. This started after a poor review. We have already decided to replace her, and are accepting resumes. We were fortunate in posting for a position below her we are getting many others, who are probably overqualified for the one position but are good matches for the gal we wish to replace. It is a race to see if we find her replacement before she gives notice.

My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-08-04 AT 07:49AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Way to go Hatchetman! That's twice in three years you've shown a humorous side. Speaking of which, you have never posted to the HR de har har board. Spend time over there and lighten up. Life is more than regs. x:-)
  • Thanks to all of you for your input. I appreciate the feedback. I'm still not sure what we'll do, but will weigh all your opinions in the mix.

• Here's how I would handle the situation. If it is a good employee that you would rather not lose, I would inform them that I'm aware of their search and wish them luck. I would try to help them with any advice or questions they may have.

When one wants to better themselves, it is time for encouragement not criticism. You never know. Down the road a bit, this guy just might come back to your company wiser and more creative and prolific.

• And on the other hand, if it's a mediocre employee who is adding marginal or questionable value to your product or service, and you have reason to know or believe he/she is being even less productive while searching, I would start the silent recruitment process, as your gut tells you to do already. I view our primary HR role as assisting the company in making a profit while ensuring it's a good place to work.
  • I would just like to add my two cents to agree with those that are recommending the open approach to this situation.

One of the ways we have improved morale over the last couple of years is by acknolwedging these kinds of transitions as part of the normal employment relationship. This means that we react calmly and with poise in the face of the news that someone is moving on to another opportunity (or is considering that possibility) whether they are someone we truly value, or someone we might not miss as much as they assume will be the case.

The results have been tremendous. Members of our staff have been more relaxed, patient, and ready to pick up additional work during staffing transitions. Departing employees have been more flexible and open to working out lengthier notice periods or alternate schedules that allow us more time to find just the right person to step in to the position (we haven't had anyone give only two weeks and then leave in more than a year).

New employees have also reaped the rewards of this adult approach to the employment relationship because there isn't tension and concern in the office about what was underneath an employment decision made by employees or the organization.

Maybe most importantly, we've found that this completely takes the wind out of the sails of folks who expect to get a good jab in by leaving, and we have far fewer folks here (if any) that thrive on that kind of tension. Seems that there is nothing more frustrating to someone looking to make waves, than being encouraged to go ahead and do what they need to do personally and professionally. In more than once case recently we've had employees confronted by our willingness to move on without them, ask how to rescind their resignation because they've changed their mind about leaving our employ as a solution to all their problems.

I would encourage any company to try this method and see how it works out both short and long-term. We couldn't be happier.