HR Measurements Goals

I am finalizing my HR Departmental goals. Do any of you have goals or measurements that you feel help prove your ROI?

Thanks
Craig

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would certainly look at recruiting and retention as two major buckets. It goes without saying that these are two critical areas that affect, amongst many things, the bottom line.

Gene
  • Recruiting is an important one. But, retention cannot be the goal of HR only. There are too many vague and elusive reasons for people leaving their jobs. Those are beyond the control of HR and would be in the lap of their immediate supervisor or manager.

I would concentrate on the benefit arena as well as succession planning. The type of organization you work for is also important to consider when making your goals. Their business plan or committments would dictate the direction you should be heading.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-18-04 AT 10:30AM (CST)[/font][br][br]4) How do you get Leadership training with attention paid to all the important HR areas of concern We used to spend money on sending ees out for leadership training. With the help of Hr Hero we were able to purchase the center piece of HR training and I now teach a 12 module Leadership training program with 10 of them being "the 10 Danger Zones of Supervision". I open with a Introductory unit for the 1st module, which expresses "Who are you and Why are you here?", then the 10 danger zones, and we wrap up with a train the trainer module which teaches leaders how to train another adult, by questioning, looking, doing, and critique or review. This training program, which is a stepping stone or a gate, for those who want to step up and lead must complete before getting their certification and promotion to lead.

This has paid training $ollars previously spent back to the bottom line. I concurr with the other postings, recruiting and retention is the one that everyone comes up with and it never is really in your control.

Well, I just learned something new about the forum system. My postings are reversed so read on and you'll find 1,2, & 3.

PORK
  • 1) Have HR Department be recognized as an income generator! In order to do this you must think outside of the box. Training real dollars to flow to the bottom line which was not there in last year's budget and un-expected in this years proforma. OJT dollars as a re-imbursement for the $ollars paid to new employees who qualified for OTJ programs.
    2) Pro-active programs which either return budgetted dollars or save budget dollars. Look into your medical insurance plan activities such as drug and routine medical claims processing which never reaches an individual or family deductable; have the employee hold onto the claims until the end of the medical business year. Claims processed is administrative money spent which did not enhance the ee or ee's family financial worth because they never reached the deductable. Now offer the employee 50 cents on the dollar to buy the claims not processed to reach the deductable amount. EXample: $300.oo is the deductable limit, the employee processes the claims all year long but only reaches $299.00 in claims, therefore, the claims were process, but the ee did not realize a 20%/80% split of any following bill. Therefore, the employee could have turned in to you for a one time payment of 50 cents on the dollar the $299.00, which the company would pay $149.99 to the ee for not having process the individual claims that would not have effected anything but your processors time and filing and record keeping. It will cause your processing time to decrease tremendously.
    3) Reduce overtime cost by adding hands on the jobs or enforce a strict 40 hour work rule. The work will get done, but you might have to add lower wage employees for routine filing.

Hope this little bit helps. I have used these cost cutting programs within several HR units and they worked for me!

PORK

• How about a goal of conducting to survey to find out how HR is meeting the HR needs of the organization. You could interview management or use a questionnaire and ask the critical questions. What are your HR needs? How are we addressing those needs? How do we help? How do we get in the way of you doing your job? What HR programs would you eliminate, add? etc. etc. You could also ask for a rating on how they see HR performance in the functional areas, recruiting, selection, compensation etc. etc.

I agree with Ritanz - turnover and retention is not a good HR goal because the management style of others is the major factor which controls those areas.
  • How about employee satisfaction? Again, like retention, governed by multiple facets of the organization, but, not a bad metric. I agree with the survey approach mentioned above.

How about performance management? Timeliness of review process, performance improvement processes, removal/succession of poor performers, etc.

How about compensation performance to plan?

How about any type of recognition programs for promotion, certification, etc. (events that encourage employee development.)

How about initiative programs that HR might create? (Career Program, Leadership Development Programs, Promotion Review Boards, Alumni Programs, etc.)

When in doubt, get a copy of your departmental budget. Look at every expense line item charged against you and determine where you might be able to better manager the $$$ being spent/charged to the HR department.

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o