Terminating a "good" employee

After many attempts to improve upon our finance director's performance, he just isn't meeting our expectations for the position (late info to auditors, delayed or no response to repeated employee requests for info, etc. -- he's not overworked by any means). He's a GREAT guy, never misses a day, honest-abe, and would fit within a lesser position of staff accountant which will soon be vacant. QUESTION: Would you just tell this guy it's not working out, give him a little severance and disable his computer that day; OR would you offer him the lesser position giving him a week or two to think about it? Gut feeling is he won't sabatoge our system if we keep him on board for a few week. Good cop versus bad cop troubles ... THANK YOU.

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There were obvious qualities that you hired initially hired him for in the first place. Overall, it sounds like he is a good employee but just can't cut the job he's currently in. With this in mind, I would let him know that you've tried everything possible to bring him up to speed in his current position but that he just isn't cut out for it. I would then let him know that you are interested in him applying for this other position and that you feel he would be a much better fit. He may give you an answer right then and there? If you can retain him, and you know he would do well in the other position, then at least try to keep him.
  • Since personality is such a big factor I don't know how someone outside of your company can give a good answer. I guess I would try to predict how this person would react in a lesser job reporting to someone else. You certainly don't know what the new person would be like and how that person would view having the employee working for him or her.
  • In today's tight job market, I would be grateful if my employer offered me that opportunity. Especially if I were happy at the company. Who knows, he may be feeling the same way.

At least spell out the two options and let him choose. If he accepts, it would be a lot better for all of you rather than having to look for two new employees.

But be sure to address all of the concerns that you have expressed to us. Is he going to be able to take the position without feeling like his ego has been bruised and will he be willing to work under the new person they hire to accept the position? Will he be willing to accept a lesser pay in the new position? What are you going to tell other staff members who he may have once been over, but now will be his co-worker?

He may react too quickly and accept the new position without thinking all of this throughh. Help him figure all that out before he answers.

Good luck.
  • Do you have a job bid process? Why not give him the talk and tell him he has an opportunity to bid for the accountant position? Judge his reaction and that can play into your decision.

If he doesn't know his performance is bad, he's probably not going to react very well. I never like someone to be surprised when they are fired. Some ppl can't see reality, but that ain't my fault.
  • It really does depend on the EE. If it were me, I would not take the lesser position, I would move on. And if you gave me severance and disabled my computer, I would be insulted by the disabling, but I would spend the severance money.

The disabling is probably good business practice, but I rarely have it done. While I am not the best at reading people, I have not been burned by EEs that are leaving, with respect to intentional damage to our information systems. I have disabled a couple of passwords when I thought it necessary, but it has been the exception, not the rule.