E-mails & Personnel info

Has anyone had a negative experience with managers using e-mail to discuss personnel issues? Our computer network has all the necessary security it needs. But, is it wise to share personnel information/issues via e-mail. Do you discuss performance, wages, other issues with a manager/director regarding an employee under their supervision using e-mail as the means of communicating?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No, it is not wise. With all the safeguards in place, the only people, other than you, who know everything about everybody else's performance will be the IT Department.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-30-04 AT 10:33AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Looks like Gillian3 beat my post by a few minutes, but I will still leave my post up.

Face it. If you have a good IT department, e-mails and other computer records are secure to almost every except that IT person/department. You need to make sure that the IT person/department understands the consequences of snooping into files that they shouldn't.

We do trust out IT people, and we do send confidential information by e-mail internally. We can not guarantee it is secure outside of the company, so if you do that, then you are taking chances.

Rob

• One more thing. Putting a password on an excel or word document helps, but that is still not that secure. There is free software on the internet that will break those passwords in seconds. The Microsoft passwords got better with office xp and now 2003, but I still wouldn't trust it that far.

Rob