New Fair Labor Standards Act

In municipal government, what positions are exempt from overtime under the new Fair Labor Standards amendment?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-26-04 AT 03:37PM (CST)[/font][br][br]SMACFADYEN: I BET YOU ARE A FEW WEEKS FROM GETTING A DIRECT ANSWER ON WHICH YOU WILL BE ABLE TO TAKE TO THE MAYOR AND SAY HERE WE MUST CHANGE TO THIS STANDARD!!!

THIS WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT JUMPS UP!

pork
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-26-04 AT 07:07PM (CST)[/font][br][br]SMac, you should take a look at the new regulations for an idea.

The major change is in the salary threshold but there are some duties requirements changes but even the duties criteria remains pretty close to what the curent regulations provide the same.

You should also consult with your legal counsel on employment law so that your city and agency will be prepared to take whatever measures need to be taken to make sure you are compliance in August.

You can find the new regs as published by DOL at this link:

[url]http://www.dol.gov/esa/regs/compliance/whd/fairpay/regulations.htm[/url]

It's the DOL website that contains the regs in pdf format.

Also, you may want to check out HRhero's pages for any analysis of the new regs. I believe they offer a publication and their offering a conference on the web on the new regs (I'm suggesting that you may want to review these. I'm sure every expert and emplyment law advisor is reviewing the new regs as proposed now in context of their clients to make suggestions for compliance).

Also, take a look at the new section 541.710 which specifcially addresses te public sector. The same provision now exists at 541.5d.

And take a look at the new 541.3(b) regarding firemen and police officers and other law enforcement and public safety employees and 541.203(j) regarding the status of public inspectors.