Harassment Compliant

If an harassment complaint is filed against an employee by an employee of a tenant in the building, who conducts the investigation?
HR or the 2nd line supervisor (dept head)?
Who has the responsibility in your company to conduct investigations?

Tks.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • So these two people, the accuser and the accusee, do not work for the same company?

I work in a leased building and if that happened to me, I'd report it to my corporate security and they would investigate and work with either that person's employer, building security or the police to ensure it stopped. I'm fortunate that we have this security department; they take very good care of us.
  • HR. Supervisors should not be conducting investigations unless that have received considerable training and there will be no credibility issues.
  • You're not clear as to who allegedly harrased whom or who works for whom; but, in any event someone's HR Department should always conduct the investigation and be solely responsible for issuing the report recommending action at the conclusion. It's always a challenge to keep the errant supervisory nose out of such investigations and typically this requires a rather blunt admonition, which simply goes with the territory.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)
  • The complaint came from someone who does not work for my company and was filed with our Public Safety Department instead of HR.
    HR still has not been notified, and the Dept head has met with the employee who allegedly committed the action.

Just not clear if I should butt in or out.

Tks.
  • If HR handles harassment ivestigations, butt in and kick some butt for them not notifying you. If the Public Safety Dept. handles the investigations butt out. If you don't have a clear chain of command when dealing with harassment complaints, you need one. This is exactly how bad things happen.
  • Butt in and kick some butt...I'm writing that one down for future use! x:)
  • If the alleged harasser is in your employ and you are HR, you certainly should be involved. By all means, you should insert yourself into the process immediately and politely invite the department head to tend to departmental matters. But, I don't know your structure, culture or past practice.

Note: The preceeding is my personal opinion and has no value beyond that. Although it may be 'sorta offensive' or 'indeed offensive' to someone out there, it is offered without regard to that possibility. Should you find yourself alarmed by my post, you may privately mail me to protest or you may alert the principal's office. x:-)