job descriptions question

We have recently cut several staff positions and those responsibilities have been taken on by remaining staff members. At some point the eliminated positions will be added back in. In my spring cleaning mode, it is time to review all job descriptions and revise as needed. I feel that with the positions that have assumed additional responsibilities those should be reflected, but noted that those are temporarily assigned to those individuals. Is the best/clearest way simply to create a separate heading under "Responsibilities" that denotes responsibilities that are temporarily assigned to that position? I don't know for sure when the cut positions will be added back--could be a few months or it could be 1-2 years.
Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you're unsure of the time frame you could make a section for "other possible duties" and list those functions there.

It is a good idea to include them in the job description, should you ever need to discipline based upone these additional duties.
  • Or maybe something as simple as "may assume the duties of _________ as needed.

BTW, welcome back Sally, it has been a while. How 'bout this gorgeous weather? Spring fever is running rampant. No one wants to be here today!
  • Both good answers. Save your old JD's though. I keep a file with "Obsolete Job Descriptions" and occassionally go in there to revive one. Just when I think I've got my job descriptions and pay scales done and updated, someone steps up and wants to grow the damn business. Oh well.

So Sonny, what IS your weather down in FL. Here in MN we hit 40 today with sunshine. To us, that's shirtsleeve weather.
  • An here in southern NY it is mid 20's with a foot of snow.
  • I hate to even tell you. .just remember, I will be envying you in a few short months.. .

It is in the mid 70's, sunny, no humidity. The sky is BLUE without a cloud. The trees are all light green with new growth. The azaleas are popping out every where and a bit of wisteria is beginning to bloom. My Easter Lily is coming up and life is good!

This is a beautiful time of year in North Florida. It reminds me of Spring "Up North"..except there it would be around May. I do miss the lilacs, thoughx:-(
  • So ray, it sounds as though you guys got everything and some of what they were predicting? Hang in there - they SAY spring is comming. th-up
  • >BTW, welcome back Sally, it has been a while.
    >How 'bout this gorgeous weather? Spring fever
    >is running rampant. No one wants to be here
    >today!

Thanks for the welcome back, Sonny. I'm one of the ones who has assumed many duties outside of my norm so even though I've had time now and then to check out the forum my brain has been too filled with other things to chime in on HR matters. As always, though, I appreciate the insight everyone has to offer.

And yet--the weather in Jax is wonderful. I need to make myself take 15 minutes to go outside and enjoy it instead of just looking out my window!