Dress Code in AZ!!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-03-04 AT 05:21PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 03-03-04 AT 05:15 PM (CST)[/font]

This is my first time here and I am hoping that I can get some feedback from some of you regarding your dress code policy and what you think about ours! We are a small company with 25 employees in SUNNY and HOT PHoenix, AZ! It is a wholesale travel agency that functions alot like a call center. Before I announce my quustion-let me give you a little background on the current dress code. It is called "business casual" in our Company's Policy and Procedures, basically everyone is required to dress up everyday. We never have a dress down day or casual day! You can not wear tennis shoes, jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts. Now none of this is mentioned in the policy-it is what has been told to each individual by the COO of the company. He will not allow us to all wear the same t-shirt that one of our vendors has provided all for one day; He will not allow you to wear a denim dress, skirt or pants. Why, you ask? Because he does not like denim or jeans-they are very unproffesional in his eyes. We are currently trying to get this policy changed due to the fact that most of our employees can't afford to dress up everyday and because we live in the dessert and it is stinkin' hot out here. We are really just wanting for Fridays to be casual! Is that too much to ask? Also, should we making revisions to our policy and procedures stating exactly what is or is not acceptable? Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated!

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • ...fee-fi-mo-maaaaaly." Oh sorry. I was on hold there thinking of your screen name. The only question I found in your post was, "Is that too much to ask?" Fact is the man owns the travel agency and is at liberty to enforce his preferred dress code. I assume he has clients coming in and feels he will make more money if his clientele see his employees slicked up in expensive casual attire. I'd look elsewhere if I thought he would not budge. P.S: It ain't near as hot (humidity wise) where you are as it is over here in Mississippi.
  • You have other options too ... like ... finding a job SOMEWHERE ELSE! I see nothing wrong with the company COO expecting employees to attire themselves respectably. Personally, I can understand an organization permiting a business casual Friday. I've just never worked anywhere that allows it. I understand that and accept that I took employment that expects me to dress to the standards they set forth.
  • First things first- I am not the one that has the problem with the current dress code! Sure, I personally think it would be nice to have a casual day once in a while-but if not than that it is ok too! I am asking the question on behalf of the employees that are complaining about it to have some kind of idea as to what other companies policies are. I am asking is too much too ask for a casual day and also does the policy of no jeans, no t-shirts, etc need to be specified in the policy and procedures manual?
  • You are asking the question on the behalf of the employees that are complaining? We are a bunch of HR professionals, but we are not your company's HR staff. You're going to have to go to your COO. Quite simply, you don't need to state this information in a policy or procedure manual, if he says no, then it's no. Period, end of story.
  • Is it to much to ask? No, I don't think it is. However, that is my opinion and not the boss's. I wouldn't worry if it's "too much to ask", because obviously, in the boss's eyes it is. Since the term "business casual" can be interpreted sooooooo many different ways I would specifiy on the policy what is appropriate and what is not. For example, in the "not" section you could list jeans or any type of denim clothing, shorts, skirts more than 3 inches above the knee, etc. In the "okay" section you could put khaki pants, slacks, button down shirts, polo shirts, etc.
    I personally don't think that business casual is too much to ask for entry level folks to abide by. One can get a perfectly acceptable pair of docker-like pants for a price very close to jeans. One can also get a button down shirt, knit blouse, whatever at the same price as a tee-shirt. You have to look in the right places. When I worked at a bookstore for $6.75 / hr I had to wear business casual clothing and had no problems doing it.
  • It would be nice for things to spelled out in a manual but no law says there needs to be a manual. A manual or policy is not the answer to all problems because people interpret things differently. Casual fridays are nice but not required and the boss gets to set the rules.
  • If the dress code is "Business Casual" I would attribute that to mean no jeans, no t-shirts, no shorts, no tube tops, etc.

Your COO upon hire is stating what he feels is unacceptable at his business. It is understandable that the ee's don't like it but it is his business and the only one who can make the change. You can voice your opinion to the COO but once you receive the answer move on.

I would not recommend amending your manual to be more specific there is always something that will come up.
  • I can certainly understand the cost factor...many of our employees here are in the same situation...the entry level jobs still require full business dress (suits/ties/dress shoes) on a much smaller salary than the executives. We've found ways to work with this...we shop at clearance sales and "discount" stores...and learned to mix basic pieces so that a little bit goes a lot further.

The COO has given his expectation for his business and employees...as has been said, if it's such a big deal...you can work elsewhere...but if you really like your job...try to find a way to work with the guidelines.

• In the real world, employers have a right to set dress standards. The employees can talk to the COO, but in the end, the COO's decision is final.
  • It is unlikely that the EEs are going to force the change they seem to want. As others have clearly said, this is an area where the company can set the standard and expect people to abide by it. That standard can be changed in either direction, but it is not up to a vote of the EEs, it is not something that civil disobedience can change with little regard for consequences, it is something that you live with or move on. The EEs can always vote with their feet and find another job that better suits their own vision of an acceptable dress code.
  • Everyone else has answered your question pretty well. I feel compelled to touch on the "stinkin' hot" statement.

I'm in Phoenix too, and have worked with employees who work both inside and outside. No matter what the dress code is, some will complain that it's too hot.

We have a very casual dress code, shorts and sleeveless shirts are allowed if they meet certain standards. We require our employees to wear smocks or aprons. Believe it or not, we hear complaints that the aprons are too hot. The employees are outside no more than 15 minutes per day in the summer.

I agree that if your owner feels strongly about business wear, then don't fight it. Support it. Sounds like the employees are working inside and are not risking heat stroke. x:)
  • I agree with you on that. I'm sure there is AC in the office. When its 10 below in Boston I don't wear a fleece sweat suit to the office, I'm still expected to dress appropriately. I'm still trying to figure out how wearing denim helps with the "stinkin hot" weather...
  • Hmmmm sounds like they know the dress policy up front. If that is the case maybe someone (you) should point that out to them. Ask him, if he doesn't want to change it tell them to stop their whinning. You can choose how tactful you wish to be................ They know coming in and should have asked. It is something I ask about of all perspective employers when I interview.
    My $0.02 worth.
    DJ The Balloonman