Performance and Goals - Manufacturing

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-19-04 AT 09:00AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I have been asked by the Board of Directors: for all employees, to have Goals assigned to them by which they will be specifically rated on their next Performance Evaluation ( in 6 months).For our administrative & sales staff, it's fairly simple, however for our production staff it is proving to be a very difficult problem.

We are a Manufacturing environment; we take vehicles, strip them and install complicated surveillance type equipment for all branches of local/state/federal government.I am having a very tough time explaining to our Production Managers the difference betweens Goals and Tasks.They are telling me that they don't understand and don't know how to assign quantifiable goals.They don't see how we can assign Goals to the our production crew of carpenters, electricians. I have explained to them the way I see it.

I wondered if any of you fellow Forumite HR professionals - especially those of you that work in Manufacturing environments - might have such quantifiable goals - which you might share with me - which might be helpful to us in devising ours.

I thought it would be very useful to show them how Goals are assigned in other manufacturing environments so that they can see how it would apply.

Or if any of you can point me to some resources, I would greatly appreciate it. xpray

Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • You can have them track reject or customer complaint rates, productivity (the volume of work that the individuals process), efficiency (how quickly they perform each task), etc. If you don't do labor tracking and have a means of assessing performance against some sort of standard it becomes more difficult.
  • I work in manufacturing and have combined both the performance evaluation form and the job description form. This way, each employee is "graded" on the jobs that he or she performs. Goals have been set up based on position structure. For example:

A Manufacturing Tech I (Entry Level) would need to be able to perform the job duties and responsibilies of a Manufacturing Tech II in order to be promoted to that position. They would be considered "goals" until he was proficient enough to be promoted.

Remember that goals need to be measureable and attainable and job relevant. Look at your job descriptions and if you have different grades or levels, use the next grade up as the goals for the lower position.

Hope this helps.

LFernandes