Limitation on applications

We have a position that we hire for regularly that requires extensive background investigation, testing, and interview panels. We have a few applicants who apply for the same position each time that it is open, but are never hired. We go through the background and testing process, and they wash out in the interview phase. The problems in the interview phase are things that may resolve for the person in time, with experience or maturity.

Does anyone have a limitation on how often the same person can apply for a job? We'd like to conserve our resources and perhaps say that if you go through the process twice and aren't hired, your application will not be considered again for at least one year from the date of the last application. I'd like to know if anyone else has addressed this issue.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Why don't you just quit interviewing the people you know are wasting your time and money? You don't HAVE to interview every single qualified applicant. Just make sure you're not excluding people based on protected class status.
    For example, I interviewed a person once for a sales job. He had great experience, but was a total a$$ during the interview. I didn't hire him. He applied the next time a sales position was open - about 2 months later. I didn't interview him, didn't hire him. If he comes in a year from now, I will look at him resume, maybe phone screen him and see how it goes. But that's just because I think people can change and mature, etc. However if he acts the same, then no way am I ever going to interview him again.
  • Why are you conducting background checks before you make your decision or at least narrow your search? I only background check those that I am extending an offer to. I would also suggest some type of prescreening interview to weed out those that don't meet the basic criteria.
  • Good point, Cthr. We interview, narrow it down, do a second interview, decide on "the one", then do a background/drug test/reference check, THEN offer. Sometimes the offer comes first in certain situations, but it is always contingent on passing all of the screening.
  • The reason for our order is that these are police officer candidates. Probably two-thirds or more wash out during the background portion. Since interviews are done by panels, it would take up too much of our personnel time to interview all of them at the outset when so many won't pass background. I hope that gives a better perspective on the issue.