Liability Training

How do you handle your annual sexual harassment training and labor law training? We normally spend a day going over this but it seems like it could be done more effeciently and have the same impact.

Thanks

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I just created a Harassment training program for all mgrs that reviews all types of harassment, provides case examples, and thoroughly reviews the mgr's responsibility to stop harassment or investigate when notified. This is the first time harassment training has been done here and it will be conducted annually (first session conducted last December). The session itself was only an hour long, and included a video regarding: Leading a Respectful Workplace.

Included on my project list for 2004 is to create a similar training session for mgrs regarding FMLA, ADA and other employment legislation. During this session I intend to provide an overview to the laws and review the mgr's responsibility. I don't intend for this training to be longer than an hour.

Concurrently, we'll be creating a Policy & Procedure Manual for supervisors which will include hand-out material from these sessions, processes for how to deal with different employment situations, etc. This will serve as an ongoing reference tool for mgrs and preclude the need for any kind of 8-hour training session.

Bottom line is that I agree with you - an 8-hour training session is tough for the audience to maintain their attention and focus. Good luck in your redesign efforts!
  • Also don't overlook the possibility of having your labor attorney come in and make a presentation. Attorney's always keep the group alive and awake. Your labor attorney will probably give you a real price break. He will also realize it gives him great exposure and an opportunity to make an interesting simple presentation in front of your decision makers and purse-string holders.
  • Our handbook very thoroughly covers harassment, but we do an annual refresher. Last year I prepared a power point presentation with lots of bells and whistles then played some music with no lyrics during the presentation. Between the up tempo music and the Power Point, everyone's interest was held all the way through. You may wonder how much they learned with all that going on. I gave a three question yes or no test at the end and all but one person passed it on the first try. I made that person retake the test and they passed on the second try.

The questions:

1. Does the (insert company name here) have a harassment policy? Yes No
    2. Do you know it is your responsibility to ask questions about any part of this policy and procedure that you do not understand? Yes No
    3. Did you attend a company sponsored training regarding harassment? Yes No

If anyone answers no, retake the test until they do. I don't know what I would do if someone continually fails the test. I suppose they keep watching the power point until they get it, but some would probably prefer that over work!