Impending lay-offs

We will be laying off three full-time employees at the end of December. The three employees were selected because of performance issues.
Fortunately, this is something we have not had to deal with in the past. That is also the unfortunate part.
Any words of advice in dealing with those employees and their co-workers? Pitfalls to avoid?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Is this a true "layoff" in the sense that they might be called back to work? Or is it a smoke screen to soften the blow?
    I would advise being as up front as possible. If you're looking to separate these employees for performance, then don't give them the impression they could be recalled. Not only is this unfair to the employees involved, but creates morale issues for the remaining employees. (I speak from experience!)
    Termination may be difficult, but in the long run it's better than stringing them along. Just be hope you have proper documentation of performance issues!
  • Actually, the best way to state it is their positions are being eliminated due to budget constraints. At some point down the road we would hope to be able to once again include those positions in our budget, but I don't see that happening for about a year or more.
  • You'll want to have the documentation handy to back up the reason for their selection - their performance hasn't met expectations - especially if they are losing their job and someone less senior is keeping theirs.

Another item to look out for is whether they fall into a protected class to protect against any subsequent discimination claims.
  • The other posts are right. This is the most tedious type to deal with in a RIF. Much easier to defend and explain simply cutting the last three to come on board. But, in the long run, it's much wiser to cut the three who are the poorest performers. You absolutely must have your documentation back-up in place. Assume that you will be challenged from several directions. Tell the three individually and privately that their performance got them terminated. Pull no punches. Don't detail the performance of others; but, do let them know that their performance was lacking and specifically, why. You will probably have to cut the conversations short or forever listen to them whine about 'why me?', 'why not Charles?', etc. Don't share their performance issues with the remaining workers however. Just tell the others that 'We looked at a number of job related factors; tenure, performance, skillset, flexibility, position, location'. To salvage morale, also tell those remaining that you do not have further reduction plans.....if that is true. In the long haul, solid documentation will either save the day for you, or sink you, if lacking.