SSN

We use direct deposit for paying wages. Is there a law addressing whether or not the social security number is to be displayed on a deposit slip or pay stub? Have an employee who does not want it displayed.

Tks

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We also have direct deposit and I recently took their SSN's off the stub, in an effort to provide more security for their personal information. I am not aware of a law requiring it.
  • With the exception of select government programs, the use of the SSN is not mandatory. So, as a matter of law, you are not required (nor prevented, I suppose) from using it on your pay advices. As a matter of good practice, I would avoid using it as an identifier within your organization in order to avoid potential problems.

The ee is right in that it should be safeguarded given today's climate of identity theft and who knows what else.

I'm sure your payroll software will allow you to use an employee badge or clock number instead.

Gene
  • I am confused. The pay stub only goes to the employee, and a deposit slip should not contain the SS number,only the account number. It sounds to me that her SS number is protected. Note that it is legal to use the SS number for payroll and tax purposes. To use it for any other purpose is voluntary.
  • There is no reason to have the number on any of the documents mentioned. My daughter, who is in college, does some substitute teaching. Her mailed check was stolen recently and the stub contained her SSN. They tracked down the cashing of the check to a grocery store which had asked the casher to write her driver's license number and SSN on the back of the check when it was cashed. Whoever stole it had her social which was her DL number as well. The only way a SSN is protected is by not showing it on any documents that leave the company, except those absolutely required for insurance or IRS purposes. I recently changed our procedure to keep SSNs off our photo-ID badges.